Wednesday 20 September 2023

The Needles, Isle of Wight.

Tuesday morning at Fort Victoria. I was up at 7am, coffee made, two people came in a van to clean the toilets. A wet mop, and a wet disinfected cloth, a quick wipe round and five minutes later they were gone. I suppose they have a lot more cleaning jobs to do. I packed some food and drink into my rucksack and drove to The Needles. There is a fun theme park there, which I didn't visit. I paid the £6 for a full days parking and went for a walk. A little bit of history here. 
The man in the pay box directed me to the path I needed. Some early mist about, so the views were not too good. 
There is a chair lift down to the bottom, which I did not take. I was more interested in reaching the top. Look at the amazing colours of the cliffs. 

It's a long climb up there, my little legs were a bit tired. 

You see the lone figure standing at the viewing point. I had a wonderful chat with the lady. I was moving on and she had arrived to take some photo's. I forgot to ask her name. She was on her own, and very nice company. 
I zoomed into get this close up. Here you can clearly see that there has been some remedial work done on the top of the two stacks. The stones are held together with cement, and a metal bar has been attached to hold them together. Three layers of house bricks have been inserted to add extra strength. That must have been a scary job to work on. 
Still a bit misty when it was time to move on. A second person has joined the lady at the viewing point. I bet they are enjoying the conversation. 


Goodbye The Needles, time to move on. 
I picked up the Tennyson Trail, heading towards the Monument. I was ready for a sit down. I hope there are some benches up there. Here is some information about the Monument. 
Oh no, I can't get near the benches. The cows are using them as scratching posts. 
They seemed friendly enough, but I decided that it was their right to be there, so I carried on. 
Smashing views heading to Freshwater Bay. 
Look out for the next episode, more to come. 
Back to normal here. Coffee morning this morning. The weather is awful, so I am staying in. Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.   ilona

5 comments:

  1. I loved the cows! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿☀️🐂🐄🐄

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of the cows in Austria. They would stand behind the benches and shakes their heads making the bells jangle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 50 and counting.This is Debi from Leicester and I too used to love the cows in Austria.Infact I have got some of their old cow bells on my front gate so that I can hear if any one is entering my garden!xx

      Delete
  3. Wow ! How beautiful it is there . That was quite the climb ! You are one tough lady :). Thanks for sharing this with us . ( from the FLAT state of Texas ) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debi from Leicester.Oh that video was wonderful.I even love a bit of mist on views!.It brings back so many happy memories of when I was a child and I can remember my Mam buying a little lighthouse with all the different sands from the cliffs,inside it.Maybe 50 odd years ago....knowing my Mam she maybe still has it,lol.I will ask her tomorrow!.Thank you for taking us with you.xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published after my approval.