Saturday 6 January 2024

Arriving at Burton.

Hello me little Bloggerettes. I've been trying to get this out all day. Keep getting distracted. Getting a bit behind on the walking so I did a three mile village walk, followed by a one mile Billy dog walk. I have  a video uploaded, I will put that on here tomorrow. And I have just discovered three hilarious yoootooobers, and watched their latest one hour video. I will share that with you in a day or two. You will laugh your little cotton socks off. 
Here are a few Burton pics from yesterday. As I mentioned, the River Trent always bursts it's banks when it rains heavy. I parked at the Library, close to the High street. I had a couple of errands to do, and I arranged to meet my nephew. I rang him and said, give me an hour, I want to take a few pics.  


I remember the Market Place. When I was a teenager I went to the market every Saturday to browse the cheap fashionable clothes. And maybe treat myself if funds allowed. More often than not I spent a few £'s on makeup and toiletries. Yesterday there was one stall selling plants in pots. 

The Market Hall has turned into a giant mobility scooter shop. Most of the other stalls were closed. A snack bar was open for drinks. 

This pub in the High street still looks more or less the same. 
And another one in the High street hasn't changed much. 

Then Adrian picked me up and we went off to the National Memorial Arboretum. It's a few miles out of Burton at Alrewas. We had the afternoon there, and he dropped me off the other side of the Trent Bridge, because I wanted to walk back over the river in the dark. A couple of pics.  

This pub is at the bottom end of the bridge. It's been there for donkeys years. I used to frequent it when I was in town. Not today though, I am driving. 

And so I came home. 

I made two videos and took loads of photo's at the Arboretum, and will put those on in the next couple of days. 

Thanks for popping in. See you soon. Toodle pip.   ilona

10 comments:

  1. hi Ilona, I'm afraid the market at Burton is only a couple of plant stalls now. Quite a few shops have closed. We don't even have a market in Derby. There are even more mobility scooters than last time I went to Burton. Think the wool and material stall is still there. We will go when the river water goes down and the weather is better. We get off the bus just before the bridge and walk along the river path to Stapenhill gardens. Usually have dinner in the little fish and chip shop in town. By the way, I wish you a Happy New Year. Best Wishes , Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things change, Caz, but not always for the better. Stapenhill Gardens and the river is a nice place to walk, when it's not flooded. Happy New Year to you.

      Delete
  2. What great pictures. 🤗. Such a nice place I am so glad you had a great time. Anxious to see the other pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it. My nephew is good company. We had a right good laugh.

      Delete
  3. Debi from Leicester.This brings back some memories for me.We sometimes used to stop off in Burton for a walk round before we went on to my Grans in Tutbury.I can remember the market being a busy place and bought my daughter a little pink quilted jacket from there.This is about 44 years ago!I would love to have walked over the bridge in the dark.Ive not been over it for years because the bus I get goes through the villages from Derby and enters Hatton and Tutbury from the Saltbox end.Thanks for sharing the photos with us.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked to see how Burton has exploded into a town full of factories and warehouses. The traffic is horrendous. Rush hour no longer exists here, everything moves at a snails pace.

      Delete
  4. That is amusing but very worrying too - a Market Hall filled with mobility scooters!!! It appears that many people could do with taking a leaf out of your book ilona and take up a daily walk - the alternative, riding a mobility scooter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought that. They try and poison us with rubbish fake food full of God knows what, then say, it's alright we'll give you a set of wheels when you can no longer walk. No wonder the business of supplying remedies to disabled people are rocketing.

      Delete
  5. That photo of the mobility scooters is frightening. I read an article that said that all mobility scooter manufacturers have to put a GPS tracker in them…we all know what that is for don’t we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do indeed Emma. The same reason why they want everyone to walk around with a screen in front of their face. The same reason why they want us to microchip our cats. The same reason why they want us to have a smart meter. The same reason they wanted us all to roll our sleeves up and take part in an experiment. The list goes on.

      Delete

Comments will be published after my approval.