Friday 8 March 2024

A look at Harworth

Hello. I was going to put this out last night, but after a full day out I was too tired. So where did I go? Nottinghamshire. I wanted to check out the place where I will be going for an exciting experience in May. I met the organiser, paid my dosh, and so now it is booked. Two months to wait. 
I took the opportunity to combine it with a walk in the area. My OS map is well used and several previous walks have been marked with coloured pens. Not far from Blyth and Bawtry, is Harworth, worth a look I thought. Here is some history.
I usually head for the church first. This is All Saints. I always walk around it looking for the best side for the photo. With this one, every side is the best one. So four pictures. 



Close to the church is a Cemetery. This looks like a newish plot of land and has been laid out to perfection. I noticed a lot of gravestones dates 2021, 2022, and 2023. A lot of older churches are running out of space so new pieces of land have to be found. 

I set off down the road, over the motorway, towards Stirrup. There is also a disused and long gone railway line here. Some of this graffiti looks impressive. Pity I couldn't get down the steep embankment to take a look further into the tunnel. 
Let's go and have a look at this. 
The track joins the car park at the main entrance. A few golfers were about, even though it was a bit chilly. 

This is the rear view of the building. The terrace looking out over the gardens looks like an lovely place to sit in the summer months. Visit their web site for a closer look. 
Carrying on into the village I stopped to have a chat with a local lady. She was off to feed a friends horse, pushing a wheelbarrow full of hay. She said this bus is being renovated ready for the new season. It was locked and nobody about to ask for a look inside. To think, I used to drive a bus like this for Stevensons Travel. I was fearless in those days, couldn't do it now. 


From Styyrup I found a different way back to Harworth. It took me through a big industrial area, lots of factories and warehouses. I don't mind that because I find all new places interesting. I came across a place that builds campervans, but not the usual type that you see around campsites and on the roads of the UK. I'll post about that tomorrow. 
I made a brief stop at Scrooby before heading home. It's a lovely village with a church in the middle. The daylight was fading so I didn't stop long. Back home for 6.45pm. 
A short four mile walk today, but lots of interesting features to look at. 

Breakfast time. My stomach is grumbling. Catch ya tomorrow. Toodle pip.  ilona

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting day you had! All the churches are so beautiful and impressive. Especially when considering that they were planned without a computer, only with a pen on paper, and built without the modern technical aids.
    And I can´t even imagine driving such a bus. I am just happy when I manage to parallel park my small car.
    Hilde in Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hilde. I find that driving forwards in a big vehicle is not as difficult as parallel parking a car.

      Delete

Comments will be published after my approval.