Tuesday 13 June 2023

Batsford Park.

I used to travel this A429 quite regularly, a long time ago. It's a long straight road, from Cirencester almost to Warwick. There was one village that made me very nervous driving through it. I had a tanker loaded with Ferric Sulphate for delivery to a Water Treatment Plant at South Cerney. Between Bourton and Cirencester, at Fossebridge, there was a very steep hill with a twist in the road at the bottom of it. I used to stop in a layby just before it and take a few minutes to compose myself. The trucks were old ERF's with a twin splitter gearbox. Gear changes were slow and clunky. I found the best way to approach the steep downhill was to slow down almost to a stop as I came towards it, select a low gear and  crawl down it and back up the other side. It held up the traffic behind me, but that was better than going like the clappers down the hill, running out of power and getting stuck at the bottom. I smiled as I went through it in the car. Ah yes, I remember it well. 
I drove past Stow on the Wold, been there before and it is very similar to Bourton. Coming up to Moreton in the Marsh I saw a sign for Batsford Park and Arboretum, and a Falconry Centre. That might be worth a look, so I turned off. There is a long driveway off the main road and large parking areas. I paid my money for the entrance to the Arboretum. As soon as I stepped through the gate I knew I was in the right place. What an amazing sight. Trees from all around the world, all shapes and sizes, and colors. Have a look at the photo's. 

I asked why this tree was wrapped up. The gardener said it's to stop the woodpeckers from destroying it. 





The house is not open to the public. 


The church was open.



The thatched cottage is not open, can't look inside. There was a car parked there so I don't know if it is someone's private residence. 





There is a small museum full of old tools. 

There is a shop, a garden centre, and large coffee shop/restaurant. I was too late to see the falconry display. I highly recommend this place for a visit. You could spend all day there. If I lived near I would get a season ticket and visit often. The gardens are beautiful. Have a look at this web site for more info. 

This was my last day of the trip. I thought about staying out another night, but it was too early to find a parking spot and sit it out until the morning, so I thought I might as well go home. A smashing trip, I really enjoyed it. 

Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

4 comments:

  1. I didn’t think a locked door would stop a lady like you 😉. You take some great photos.
    W

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you enjoyed your trip through the Cotswolds, and I agree Batsford makes for a great day out. If passing through another time why not visit Sezincote known as India in the Cotswolds! It is a totally unique very really interesting place to visit. https://www.sezincote.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh you were a brave lady driving huge trucks with clonky gears round twisty roads I'm anxious even thinking of it.beautifull pictures I would like to visit there sometimex

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of a thatched cottage. Beautiful photos and although I don't comment often l love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published after my approval.