Tuesday 27 June 2023

Just a thought.

 I was chatting to a neighbour the other day, she was telling me they are soon to move away. The furniture has already been sent up north in a van and is now in storage. Their rented house is almost empty. A few loose ends to tidy up and they will be away. I asked where they are moving to. Shetland she replied. Blimey that's a long way away. 

Their furniture is at the halfway point in Aberdeen. The plan is to drive their car to Shetland, hire a van, and collect the furniture. I asked, how come you are moving so far away. Her husband has been looking for a job for ages, not much luck around here. He applied for a Postie's job on Shetland, and got it. Wow, what an exciting time for them. 

What an amazing thing to do, I thought. I have been to Orkney so know what the landscape is like that far north. If truth be known I am slightly envious of them. Up sticks and go is something I used to do. 

At 18 I moved to Blackpool. I lived in Birmingham for a while, then went back home, then back to Blackpool again. I lived in Majorca for three months, that didn't work out so I came back. I bought my first house at 27, a small terrace. Changed it for a semi, still in my hometown. Then moved 100 miles to where I am now. 

Driving trucks has satisfied my wanderlust. For quite a few years there was no need to move house. All I needed was a base to sleep after twelve hour days of tramping around the UK, with the occasional trip into Europe. Some of the work took me away from my pile of bricks and mortar Monday to Friday, the cab was my home. 

Now, when I hear of  people moving house and going to a new area, it makes me feel like I am stuck. Yes, I could probably do the same if I really wanted to, but it seems a bit crazy because I would have to start paying rent, unless I did a straight swap. I am not going to get a mortgage at my age, nor would I want to. 

I have gone through the mill over the years regarding being skint several times, especially when moving house. I have always hated the phrase 'settling down', to me that is like a death sentence. But after 22 years in this house I suppose you could say I am settled down. 

If I was younger I would consider moving. Our island is filling up fast. Big wide open spaces away from the maddening crowd are very appealing to me. Just a thought.

Enjoy your Tuesday. I must go shopping my fridge is bare. 

Toodle pip.   ilona

15 comments:

  1. I too felt a pang of envy as I started reading your post.It sounds very exciting what your neighbours are doing.Sometimes I wish that I had moved years ago.I have lived here for over 45 years.Always been happy here....mostly,lol.Had holidays all over the world visiting lots of different countries,but have always been glad to get home.Lived down South on the coast for a while in my teens then came back and got married.Then there was always the excuse that you dont want to up root children from schools,my Family live near by,then Grandkids came along and wanted to see them grow up,ect.Always a reason not to leave.But I think as we get older,circumstances alter and we start wondering did we do the right thing?....Now its the cats settling in somewhere different?Always been a reason not to move....but I still envy your neighbours!!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason I left Burton on Trent at 18 was because I thought it was a dump. Blackpool was far more exciting. A few years later I was back in Burton, and thought, it's not that bad. Now, I know that a place is what you make it. You can be happy or miserable anywhere.

      Delete
  2. I think Debi is right that the time to move is when circumstances change. My sister-in-law moved hundreds of miles away when she was widowed. She put her house on the market but it took over six months to sell so she needed a pot of money to be able to rent in the meantime. Your neighbour is brave to move so far away but moving for work is a good thing to do. It's something I would consider if I found myself alone, nothing to keep me here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timing a move is very important. Sometimes the time is not right.

      Delete
  3. I'm a bit like that too. I always think the grass is greener elsewhere. It's good to have experiences but I think that needs to be balanced with some contentment. I always feel I should be doing more, trying new things as life is short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people plan for the short term, some for the long term. It's always good to keep your options open.

      Delete
  4. I envy your neighbours as well ilona.ive been happy living where I am for twenty five years but I long for change and to wander to different places to live or work but I daydream about this a lot and feel un confident about moving although once I got to the right destination I would be fine.lolxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confidence comes with age. I have done some crazy things when I was young. Now I am a bit set in my ways.

      Delete
  5. Just checked the Royal Mail website and they’re still advertising for postie’s in Shetland. I’d move somewhere quieter and with less people in a heartbeat and would definitely be off if I was still single. I’ve never been particularly attached to any of the houses I’ve lived in and see them purely as a base. I’ve just checked on Rightmove and you can get somewhere small and simple for far less than many houses cost in England. I’d say to anyone looking to move elsewhere go for it before you’re too unfit and then stuck where you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My houses have just been a pile of bricks to me. I had high hopes that this last one was going to be a bit special because I was going to share it with someone. It didn't happen, so I don't have any emotional attachment to it. I like the garden more than the house.

      Delete
  6. We have lived in our same area all of our married life (33 years). We have moved house 3 times but always in the same town. I got nervous about the move from the 2nd house to the current home. My husband liked the new house, but kept saying we know what we have here (2nd house}, what if we move and start having lots of issues? But we didn’t and we have been here 17 years. I said all that to say moving around the same town was nerve racking… I can not imagine a 100 miles or more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people would rather set down roots for life. I never wanted to be tied down with a mortgage. Now the mortgage is gone, and I am free again.

      Delete
  7. We moved to the Isle of Wight 8 years ago, never regretted it.
    Jon.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.