Tuesday 4 July 2023

Making Softpots.

I've been a busy little bee today. I've made four softpots using the kit I bought from the Leeds Food Festival. Danika demonstrated how to assemble them. The kit cost £20 and has enough bits and bobs to make six pots. I bought four small plants from a Garden Centre. 
First mix some of the Softpot Gold with some compost. 
Open the stocking and fix the ring to the top to keep it open while you fill it. I gave up with the ring and just used my hands to put some gravel in the bottom and fill it up with compost using a trowel. 

The ring isn't very big, it was difficult to put my plant in there. After making the first pot I didn't bother with the ring. You hollow out the middle with your fist to make a pot that the plant can sit in. 
You mould the pot to the shape you want it. A bit like kneading clay.
Then enclose the whole plant inside the stocking leg, pulling it tight to stretch it. Fasten the stocking at the top around the base of the plant. Next cover the pot with coloured grass, which is in the kit. You can add as much sparkly bits as you like. Sorry, I didn't photograph that part. 
Then pull the excess stocking over the top, freeing the foliage and trapping the decorations between the two layers. Pull stocking tight at the bottom and tie a knot. Cut off excess.



This one didn't turn out too well. I used a pair of tights out of my drawer. Black 10 denier glossy ones are best. 
This is called a Curry Plant. It actually smells of curry. 




I am pleased with how these turned out. They are not easy to make, you have to be quite rough with pulling the stocking tight and knotting the end. When you do that some of the bits fall out. I turned it on it's side and added more sparkly bits with a teaspoon. Once it's all sealed up and finished you can knead it like dough into the shape you want. These can live outside in all weathers. The plants will grow as normal. 
Here is the web site if you want any info. 
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

9 comments:

  1. They look wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are different and really lovely, well worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fantastic!!!! So beautiful and decorative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They’re lovely, I’ve not come across them before. Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pots look beautiful - must try that. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for showing us this.I did wonder how these turn out and yours look fantastic!.I clicked on to the web site link that you posted and then clicked on to her videos.....what a lovely woman!.I watched the one done Dec 26th so I presume that maybe was her last one before she died......isnt life cruel sometimes.....So now I am going to try and do it with some old tights and things I have got around to house.Frugal as ever,lol.It is a great idea though so thanks for sharing this with us.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are wonderful, and what a great way to recycle tights! I am going to try it, I don't wear them anymore so why not!
    Keep up the great attitude and work.
    JC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your comments. They look really lovely in real life. I hope the plants survive and grow to a good size.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published after my approval.