Wednesday 5 July 2023

Man in a frock

A picture of Jamie Farr popped up this morning on my screen, it prompted me to gooooglie his name. I remember M A S H from years ago, it was funny. Jamie played the cross dresser, Klinger. He was desperate to get himself discharged out of the army so he so he put on this act in the hope that they would think he was a little bit nutty. He didn't get a discharge and carried on in the part until the series ended. 
It was Jamie's birthday on the 1st of July, 89 years old. 
This was from the days when cross dressing was so much fun. It has now become very ugly. 
photo credit Black Wax Cafe

Happy 89th Birthday, Corporal Maxwell Q. Klinger!!
Jamie Farr (born Jameel Joseph Farah; July 1, 1934) is an American comedian and actor. He is best known for playing the cross-dressing Corporal turned Sergeant Maxwell Q. Klinger in the CBS television sitcom M*A*S*H. Farr has been married to Joy since 1963 and has two children.
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona 

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder of MASH - brilliant program!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was very funny. We need to keep reminding ourselves of things we used to laugh at.

      Delete
  2. Not only did Klinger stay until the end of the series, he remained in Korea.

    I agree we need to remind ourselves of what was deemed to be funny in the past. We also need to consider whether it actually was funny. I find a lot of the 70s comedy both racist and sexist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Some of it is still marvellously funny but some is cringey now. Love MASH though. Lizzie

      Delete
  3. I never really got the humour in MASH, but Alan absolutely loves it. I was the same with It Ain't Half Hot Mum ... and now I've ended up related to 'Gloria', the lovely Melvyn Hayes, another 'man in a frock'. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a whacky kind of humour. It was set in a field hospital so some of it was quite serious. Yes, Melvyn Hays. I bet there were many more, but I can't remember them.

      Delete
  4. Hello Ilona I think I was born in the wrong time lol I'm in my fifty's and I dislike most modern TV shows I prefer comedy and coronation Street from the 70,s and Victor meldrew loli also like furniture from the sevenths bright coloured sofas and wallpaper old fashioned cups and saucersx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were the days eh! We have some great memories to look back on.

      Delete
  5. MASH was brilliant, it was both funny and serious, it showed the horrors of war that was palatable to a television audience with comedy. But your comment that “ cross dressing is ugly now” is offensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can be offended if you like, it's your choice. Cross dressing used to be fun. Pantomime dames were fun, they never wore skimpy costumes exposing various bits of naked skin. Now it's morphed into how much can I get away with. A few strategically bits of cloth to cover up the naughty bits. Innocent cross dressing has been hijacked by those who wish to make a statement. It is used as a means to push society in one direction, that of a genderless world. Some might say that is progress.

      Delete

Comments will be published after my approval.