Thursday 6 July 2023

My friend Carol

My best friend Carol did the Race for Life at the weekend, as she does every year. This is a charity raising funds for Cancer Research. Carol is on the right, along with her family members. 
Carol is two months older than me. We met at Junior School when we were about 9 or 10 years old. We lived close together in the same village, and went to the Secondary Modern School together when we were 11. People often thought we were sisters because we were both skinny and had fair hair. 
Carol's family moved to Blackpool, and I went to live there when I was 18. I got a bedsit and a job, and was there for about three years. After that we both moved around to different parts of the country, but always kept in touch. After many years of living down south, she is now back up north, near Blackpool. 
We have both had our ups and downs in life, when things haven't worked out well for us. But we were always there for each other, usually at the end of a phoneline.
I must say she is looking darn good in this photo. In the weeks leading up to this event she has been walking longer distances, to build up her stamina. 
I have picked out some photo's previously published on this blog.
Carol on the left, my Welsh penfriend Janet, on the right.  
Big hair days. 
I made this for her a few years ago. 
Carol at 60. 
Must get on. I filmed a short video yesterday with the new camera. Will upload it to yooootooob now. Catch ya later. Toodle pip.   ilona

5 comments:

  1. Such a special friendship. I love the 'big hair' photo, didn't we all have lots of hair in the 70s. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to spend hours on perfecting our hairstyles. Perms, rollers, back combing.

      Delete
  2. Big respect! A customer did the 'race for life' for me, when I was down, in 2006. Well done Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol's mum died of cancer, so she does this every year since. The lady on the left is Pamela, Carol's sister.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published after my approval.