Thursday 28 February 2019

Follifoot and Spofforth ramble.

I went for a walk today, it was the last day of a three day break. I do like getting away for a few days. this time I've been to Yorkshire. Harrogate was my destination, I booked myself into the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Kings Road for two nights. Checking the OS map before I went, I decided on a walk for the first day starting at Follifoot. It's a lovely little village. 
I headed off towards Rudding Park and entered through the main gate. It's got a golf course, a spa, and a private luxury hotel. There is a beautiful church in the grounds next to the hotel.



I sat on the bench on the right with a view of the park, and ate my packed lunch. It was a gloriously sunny day.

A sculpture in garden.

A broken stile. There should have been a gate next to it, but it was broken, in fact there wasn't much of it left. I walked along a footpath beside the River Crimple towards Spofforth.

The church at Spofforth, the door was locked so I couldn't go inside.

The ruins of Spofforth Castle are surrounded by mowed lawns..

Pictures from the high level looking down into the castle.



There are steps leading down to the lower level.

From Spofforth I picked up a footpath making a circular walk back to Follyfoot. I checked into the hotel in Harrogate at 5.30pm. A little bit of luxury for two nights. The first days walk was 9 miles. I was so lucky to have a glorious sunny day.

These pictures are from Tuesday, more to come from the next two days. In the meantime, it's check in day tomorrow for the International Walking Group members. ilona

5 comments:

  1. How nice to be able to get away again for a few days.You have been so lucky with the nice weather,which is always a bonus! Im looking forward to seeing all your photos.The ones you have posted today are lovely.Its changed a bit here in Leicester today,colder and raining tonight.I hope it turns around again for when I go on my break in 2 weeks time.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip brought back many happy memories of our first trip to Britain in 1998. We met up with friends, who live between York and Leeds, and went with them through the Yorkshire Dales, over to the North Sea, and ending at the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh.I remember Harrogate very well. Lovely pictures! Wonderful trip!

    While you are out enjoying the nice weather, we are up to our armpits in snow in northern Idaho USA. We surpassed the all-time record for February at mid-month. With any luck, it will melt by the 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos Ilona. Not an area I know very well so really enjoyed your guided tour and you certainly picked the right weather week too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be honest, I haven't even heard of most of the places that you get to - looks lovely round this area though. Your idea of 3day breaks sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.