Wednesday 29 May 2019

Bimbling around Penzance.

I thought I had landed on a tropical island when I got off the bus at Penzance. This wasn't on my original itinerary, but as the bus stopped right outside my B & B at Carbis Bay, I thought I might take advantage of it. I'm glad I did, I really enjoyed the day. The bus station is right next to the harbour.
Small pleasure boats stranded in the mud, the tide must be out.

I have a fascination for anything that moves, boats, planes, trains, and anything on wheels. Must be down to my trucking life. I love strolling around looking at docks.





Looks like it's lunchtime for these two gulls. Not much left of the fish.

Checking the street map that I picked up from Tourist Information, I fancied a walk around some nice gardens. I wasn't disappointed, Morrab Gardens are beautiful. 
I could have been on a Caribbean Island on the other side of the world. A few people were strolling about but not many. Some were sitting reading, some walking dogs, some meeting friends.










This beautiful old building was a school, it was closed and fenced off. It really needs opening up and using again. It would make a great arts centre.

Can't remember what this is, the Town Hall I think. Impressive building.


Time to get on my way, I set off walking back, it's only about six miles.  I took the coastal path which runs alongside the railway track and the beach, towards Marazion. That is St Michaels Mount over there. I have been there on a previous visit to Cornwall.

I got off the coastal path to follow minor roads and tracks. I saw this sign near Longrock and went to have a look.

No one about, it is not open, will be later when the growing season starts. Huge poly tunnels. Stepping inside for a few minutes and I was sweating, and gasping for fresh air. It was so hot.

There is an honesty box for people to choose what they want and leave the money.


 A few random pictures as I walked through the countryside. It was glorious. Flowers in someone's front garden.

A trickling stream with a mini waterfall.

And an abundance of wild flowers in the hedgerows.


A relic of an old mine.

This is my idea of a lovely day out, I like Penzance. Toodle pip.   ilona

8 comments:

  1. That looks so nice that it is now on my wish list of places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed Penzance Ilona. I lived there for many years and am actually off down there tomorrow to visit family and friends. It is certainly looking good at the moment. The school building you photographed in Morrab Road was actually the library and arts centre and a thriving place, mainly because of the many artists that were and are in the area. You may have heard of the 'Newlyn School' of artists, pretty famous in West Penwith. Thank you so much for all your lovely photos and I'm glad you had such a lovely Cornish holiday. Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous and a part of UK I wud live to visit one. Glad u enjoyed Ur day out. I love gardens history and sight seeing too. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Ilona, thanks for the photos! I had no idea Penzance is so far south. I sang once in The Pirates of Penzance--you know, back in the Dark Ages when I was young. And, by the way, life after 70 is just fine. I do love to hear about your walking adventures and especially to see the pictures. You do such a good job of taking them. Sedgwick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allison in Victoria, BC30 May 2019 at 00:09

    That looks like you had such a wonderful day! I love visiting gardens when I travel also. Thanks for the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous photos - thank you - Penzance has always been on my list of spots to visit and you have certainly confirmed that!
    Loved the dahlias - I read a series of books called "The Darling Dahlias and ...." about a gardening club of ladies during the depression in the US. They are gentle mysteries and full of money saving tips and bits about how people had to pull together - right up your alley!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely trees and flowers.You have certainly been surrounded by nice views on your holiday.It always makes me wonder how those beautiful large trees survive the winter.I had one once in my garden...someone gave it to me,they are very expensive to buy.But the first winter all the trunk of it went soft and it never recovered.I love the photo of the gulls aswell..Infact I love anything seasidey,lol.I used to love watching the big ships come into Ramsgate harbour,unloading all the Volkswagen cars then watch them being driven away.I was only a kid at the time,but I could sit there all day!,xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should join the Cornish Tourist Board.. Penzance looks gorgeous; unf it would take me a full day to get there on numerous trains so doubt I'll get there myself. Really enjoyed your pics!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.