Sunday 11 March 2012

Visiting Cleethorpes

Good morning. The sky is blue and I am on my second breakfast. The first was coffee and toast, now I'm polishing off the leftovers of last nights red wine, plus a couple of crumpets, can't beat it :o) My guest has gone, on her way to visit her friend near Nottingham, then back to her daughters in Derbyshire. This may be her last trip to the UK as the airlines are no longer going to offer cut price tickets. Apparently they are set to increase by a phenomenal amount which will rule out long haul for a lot of people. 
Yesterday we went to Cleethorpes, a seaside resort on the coast of North East Lincolnshire. It isn't in fact on the seashore, it is on the banks of the River Humber, almost opposite Spurn Point. It's on the main shipping route to Hull, Grimsby, Immingham, and all ports to the River Trent. It does have a beach, but it always seems to be miles out. If you wanted to paddle in it you would have to wade quite a distance through boggy sand. However it is good for children to build sandcastles, people to exercise dogs, and if you wanted a picnic there is plenty of sand for that. 
I have to apologise for loading these photo's back to front, can't be bothered to change it now. Here is Annette, I know she looks pretty wrapped up even though it is a blue sky, sunny, and a slight breeze. Her body is still acclimatised to the hot and humid conditions of Malaysia. I on the other hand had a jacket and trousers on and I was bloomin sweating cobs. Don't ask me how that saying came about, my mum used to say it.

Here is a typical English seaside arcade of shops and amusements. You can chuck loads of money away in the slot machines if you so wish.

The crazy golf looks good fun, but I always think you need a group of people to play this to have a good laugh. Just two of you and I would find it boring.
Not much going on, on the pier. We didn't bother to walk down it to have a look. Doesn't look very inviting.
We saw two donkeys giving rides on the beach. Still, I suppose it's better than none at all, the season has not quite started yet, I should think at the height of summer there would be a dozen or more. You can see what I mean about the sea being a long way out, where's it gone!
Get your seaside tat here. Good for cheap and tacky souvenirs, and a stick of rock to take home.
The gardens along the promenade look nice, the council have made an effort to inject a bit of colour, and the lawns are nicely manicured.
Trains are always an attraction, this one is quite reasonably priced for a long ride along the Promenade.
I like these colourful murals. They should have a lot more of these to brighten places up, even get Banksy the artist to paint a few.
Last night we ate in, salmon and vegetables, and a bottle of wine. Then we watched Heartbeat on the computer tele. Today I am going to enjoy the sun in the garden. Toodle pip. Enjoy your Sunday.  

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice weekend for your friend. Those murals are great, they really do brighten the place up. I like the train with the colourful windmill things on top too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember going on Cleethorpes beach with my eldest son when he was about 2, he loved playing in the sand. DH had a work appointment nearby and I was surprised how nice the beach was but hubs warned no paddling incase our feet turned green from all the factories nearby pumping who knows what out into the Humber!!!! Glad you had a nice visit Ilona and I bet you've enjoyed today's sunshine, lovely and warm isn't it? :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a grand day out to me.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The white road train is called the lollipop train.We use it with school trips at cleethorpes. Don't know if it's just for organised trips, but all the tiddlers get a free lolly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great little spot. Yes, it's a bit of a shame with the airfares. Britain charges me an Air Passenger Duty of around 100pound just to land in your country. I can't tell you how many people I know who haven't come as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a good time and made some memories.
    Great pics as usual
    It must be nice living within a short distance of the coast

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a nice little town. I've never been there, I don't tend to get very far north.

    Glad that you had a good visit with your friend.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.