Wednesday 23 July 2014

Don't bug me

Phew, it's been a scorcher today, I've been in and out like a fiddlers elbow. Tried to do some hedge cutting, but after 20 minutes had to come in or I would have been burnt to a frazzle. Good day for drying washing though, bed stripped, 30 minute wash, ten minutes on the line and back on the bed within the hour. 
Thank you for the fantastic response to yesterdays post, there was a lot of good advice on there. As usual you came up trumps and added a bit more flesh to my post. I'm sure the reader who sent the email now has all the information she needs to plan a fantastic veggie diet for her family. 
I've been doing some more prepping for my picture, making some beady bugs and flowers. I found the instructions in a library book, Encyclopedia of Crafts, by Martha Stewart. It's an A to Z guide with details of how to make all kinds of things. Not a book I would buy, lots of crafts that I would maybe not want to try, but a useful addition for someone who collects crafting reference books. Here are my efforts so far.
The flowers I made with floristry wire which someone gave me.  

I needed some finer wire for the bugs, because it has to go through the centre of the small beads several times. For this I have fine wire which I recovered from an old video player I broke up. It's surprising what useful bits you can find inside. All you crafters out there, if you throw away anything electrical, take it apart and see if there is anything useful inside, before you dump it. This wire, although it is tightly wound, will pull out from the centre of the spool.

I need a few more bugs, something I can get on with while I watch catch up TV. By the way, did you know Dragon's Den is back, I like that programme, and they are filming another series of Mr Selfridge. Not sure when that will be broadcast, can't wait to see the luscious Mr Piven again :o)

I'm off now, plants to water now the sun is going down. Toodle pip.

15 comments:

  1. That looks so cute, those flowers would love fab sewn onto a bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made a note of your suggestion, thank you.

      Delete
  2. Love the bugs Ilona :0) am waiting in anticipation to see your wonderful artwork creation....

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fab Ilona, we've bought a loom and I've been making bracelets today, flippin heck I had to watch a youtube tutorial 6 times and it's supposed to be for kids ha ha
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute creations! Be careful taking electronics apart. I have heard there are dangerous chemicals inside somewhere...I have no idea where or how you can expose yourself to them, just be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you are able to reuse something as mundane as wire from inside a video player! Flowers and bugs are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,I like your very cute beaded bugs and flowers.Will wait to see how they are purposed.Totally unrelated to today's post I know,but courgette's are zucchini right?We always had so many at our farm.I made a "zucchini medley" every year.The recipe called for three or four large thinly sliced zucchini, one large sweet or spanish onion,three to four celery stems, three green peppers, three cups of your choice of mushrooms,and a dozen home grown roma tomatoes.Saute in a large, deep pot or pan or wok in oil of your choice.Add salt pepper and fresh garlic and herbs of choice,and two or three dried bay leaves.( they give the unique flavour)When softened then cook on low heat stirring and turning occasionally for an hour until juices are reduced and medley is thickened.Serve over brown rice, or whole grain or gluten free noodles.Top with grated parmesan or other cheese of choice(optional)Big batches of this was frozen or canned,and also used zucchini to make big batches of muffins, with unbleached four, honey,eggs, yogurt,grated zucchini, grated carrots, walnuts, chocolate chips.(filling and nutritious)though the ingredients can be pricey, I always bought when on sale or reduced.So convenient to defrost and much less additives etc.Have a good one, regards, Destemona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, courgettes are zucchini's. You are making my mouth water with your suggestions.

      Delete
  7. I look forward to Dragons Den coming back on the tv, some of the people on there make me cringe with their lack of basic business knowledge. Worse still are the ones that have put all their savings into a no hope idea and are on the verge of borrowing money using the equity in their house as security. I wonder how they could do that to their family.
    I find it interesting that Duncan has become a multi millionaire after starting off with an ice cream van but i miss Hilary, she told it like it is, no pussyfooting around just straight to the point northern plain talking. She probably upset the southerners.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave. This is Duncan's last series, he is too busy to give time to more businesses. I won't be sorry to see him go, he is becoming boring. My favourite is Peter Jones at the moment. I wish we could have Hilary or Theo back.

      Delete
  8. Brilliant wire source. I'm impressed! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A real delight, they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the flowes and bugs! DD (age 8) has been crocheting long green chains with colorful flowers crocheted and attatched. I'm thinking if we could make a few of these bugs and attatch then to it, it would be great! Then we can hang it up in her room!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Getting crafty again! It's been in the upper 90's here for a week now and no relief til next Tuesday. I find that as I've gotten older it's less and less tolerable. Like you I'm hanging sheets today so it will be a quick job on the line!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Arghh! My Mom dumped a broken DVD player...yesterday!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.