Monday 21 July 2014

That's all you need, really ;o)

Phew it's hot today, almost too hot to be outside. I sometimes put a chair out in the garden, and sit down for all of ten minutes, then I can't be still for any longer and have to get up and do something. I went to the crafty club this morning, not quite as many there, probably on holiday. The club is a year old now, it doesn't seem that long since we started. 
What have we here, tis the salad season and my plate is piled high. Yesterday I had spinach, salad leaves, grated carrot, cucumber, grated cheese, mushrooms, and walnut pieces. It takes me nearly an hour to eat this, as I munch my way slowly through it. I usually read something while I am eating, either a magazine or on the computer. Yesterday I was watching yoootooob vids, old Coronation Street, and 'how to', crafting ideas.  
There was a big bag of mushrooms in my shopping, 4p on a yellow sticker. My friend mentioned mushroom soup and I thought I'll give it a go. Never made mushroom soup before, don't know what goes in it apart from mushrooms. So, I chopped some and boiled them in water. What next. I added a veg stock cube, a shake of black pepper, and a shake of garlic powder. It looked a muddy brown colour. Then I thought, add a whole lot of spinach leaves, they filled the pan but soon shrunk in size. I transferred it to a mixing bowl and zapped it with the stick blender and tasted it, bloomin lovely, so I put half in a small bowl and drizzled the last drop of cream over it. Scrumptious. I had planned on saving the second portion to eat today, but I'm afraid it got to 8.30pm last night and I thought stuff it, I'm going to eat it now, ha ha. Give it a try, mushroom and spinach soup. You could get away with half a stock cube though, it doesn't need a whole one.
    
I don't know about you but I am a bit lazy where hair washing is concerned. I want it washed and towel dried quickly, no faffing about with rinse, apply conditioner, and rinse again. I had a bit of a sort out in my bathroom cabinet, and found the tea tree conditioner that I bought yonks ago, it's at least 15 years old. The VO5 conditioner I found in the house clearance skip, a few moths ago. Shame to leave it there to get chucked away. Anyway, what I am doing now is using it as shampoo. I am determined to get rid of it. It works very well, and it's better than it cluttering the cupboard up. If you have accumulated a stash of conditioner which you may ever use, why not give it a try. If you don't want to use it every time you wash your hair until it's gone, try using it every other wash.

I walked around the corner to a friends house yesterday to collect a key, they have asked me to water their plants while they are away this week. Mrs friend cut me a cucumber from their greenhouse, very nice of her I thought. Then Mr friend came to the door and said have we paid you. I said, don't be daft, I don't want anything, just glad to help out. Then he appeared with a bottle of wine and handed it to me. I said, thank you that's very kind. As I walked away I  looked at the wine in one hand and the cucumber in the other, and chuckled. Ha ha.

Toodle pip.

15 comments:

  1. When I read that you take an hour to eat your meal I thought that that is one of the ways in which you keep trim. "Take your time and stop once in a while and put your fork down, chew food thoroughly and don't put anything into your mouth until you have swallowed the last mouthful " is advice I would LOVE to give to those friends of mine who struggle with their weight and don't know why!
    Love your gifts.... cheeky!
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got it Gill, digestion begins in the mouth. I love to savour every mouthful.

      Delete
  2. I'm quite sure I have never, never taken an hour to eat a salad. I don't struggle with weight, but do have a bad habit of eating too fast....not too much, but too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try adding some potato to your mushroom soup too, it's lovely. Of course my recipe says add some bacon too but then I'm not vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have potatoes in the garden, will do that.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a lovely plate-full!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello - while they are in season try making a quick stock using the broad bean outer- pods before you compost them. I used some in a home made veggie stock and it was the best I've ever made. Just do remember to fish out the outer pods before you continue cooking.

    Sending care, Michelle down in Wellington, NZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. For a winter warming soup, try giving your mushroom soup makings some potato and a good amount of ground black pepper, too. Potato will thicken the soup nicely and the added pepper will give it warming properties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to try the soup - it sounds delicious! I'm sure the fact that you walk a lot helps keep you slim, too. By the way: I think you need a more comfy chair outside!! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stuff the soup, the cucumber and wine! I know where you were going with that. Ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that joke went right over the top of people's heads, it certainly did for the troll as she spurted out her usual bile. Fun is the name of the game here, bullies are zapped.

      Delete
    2. Went over my head too, until Frugal in Bucks' comment (and I'm no shrinking violet).

      Wicked sense of humour! Love it.

      Delete
  9. You gave me a chuckle to start my day, the soup looks good, I am low on spinach but have a big lettuce so will try shredding it and stirring in at the last minute. I do that with frozen peas, if it is good enough for the French...... and it is very tasty and uses up lettuce rather than waste it.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.