Friday 30 July 2010

A tree for all seasons

I took Henry choc lab a walk today and thought how lovely it is that we have four seasons. The green fields have turned into the golden colours of harvesting, and the tractor driver stacking the bales onto his trailer are a glorious sight. It must be awful to live in a place which is hot all the time, like my brother in India and my friend in Malaysia. Heat drains me and makes me tired, it has been a bit warm today, more humid and muggy than warm, and I felt tired. I had a siesta this afternoon. It's raining now so that will help to freshen things up.

There is a tree at the end of my road which envelopes you with a wonderful fragrance as you pass underneath it. I am so addicted to this smell that I look up into it's branches and linger for a while, my nose taking in the aroma. I don't know what this tree is called, maybe someone can tell me.

It has big broad leaves, and small narrow leaves with a stem of tiny flowers coming from the middle of each leaf. Very strange to have two different types of leaves on the same tree.

This tree looks wonderful in all seasons, in the spring it has an abundance of flowers, and in the autumn it will cover the ground in a golden carpet. In the winter it sleeps.


I have a busy day tomorrow, at the Arts Centre. I'll get some sleep now so I am refreshed. Goodnight.

8 comments:

  1. I think it may be a lime tree - we have one at the end of our garden and once spotted 2 people in the lane over the hedge just smelling it!

    See if this fits
    http://www.lifeworks.uk.com/Lime%20Tree.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Lime trees are also sometimes known as Linden Trees (confusing)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love our four seasons and agree with you that it must be terrible not have have these distinct changes in weather patterns. At the moment i am really enjoying our winter while you have been experiencing great heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lime, aka Linden - and don't the bees just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Illona - are you the "recycling queen" now too?? saw it in the local rag and wodered if it was you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my Amelachier,another tree for all seasons, with bronze spring foliage, white flowers, followed by berries, followed by fantastic red and gold autumn leaves. I must get another for the new garden.
    I agree with you, I love the seasons. One of my dog walking freinds said she lived in South Africa for a while and missed Englands seasonal changes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's exactly what it is, dancingonabladeofgrass and Jane. Thanks so much. I can smell it now on this little sprig I have here. And yes the bees love it. I am a bit worried though because there seems to be a lot of bees on the ground underneath it. Trouble is it is a pavement, and I am sure people don't look where they are walking.

    Hi the Squirrel Family, Yes I am the recycling queen, as advertised in the local press. Tis me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know what it's called but looks like a huge tree we have in our garden which apparently is used for makinh tizanes. you take the flowers and boil them up. Sorry I can't tell you what it is though.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.