Saturday 11 September 2010

Hit me with my Rythm Stick

I have finished my latest artwork. As you know I ran out of Blackthorn cider cans, so I searched in my box to see if I had anything of a similar colour. Bingo, Tesco cider cans will do the job. So here it is, I call it my Rythm Stick. I tried siting it in several different places, the bottom of it is in a bucket so it has to be hidden behind something. When the sun catches it, it sparkles.

I cut the tops and bottoms off the cans with a pair of nail scissors, then I cut the tube open with big scissors, to make a flat sheet. Next I made lots of cuts along the bottom edge, to within one inch of the top edge, like a frill. Then cut the piece in half, and curled the frills using the small scissors. It's very sharp, I've got several cuts on my right thumb.

Next I got a broom handle and starting one foot from the end, I wrapped the frill round and made sure it was a tight fit, and nailed each one in place. Keep adding more frills, till I got to the other end.

I think it's interesting, a sort of futuristic plant from the 22nd century, when man has destroyed everything growing in the ground. My gallery is coming along nicely.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Ilona, I love your art work. There is a house near us that has a similar display of decorations made from recycled items. The home owner was awarded a special award by the council for the most unique garden a few years ago. Maybe your work will be recognised. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Poppy, I need to keep going then, keep looking for new ideas and adding more stuff. Has your council got a web site, there may be some pictures in the archive. I would like to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ilona, It was the gardens in bloom awards from Sutton Surrey a few years ago. I will take a walk down the road this week and check it's name as there was an article about it in our local paper but I can't remember the name of the road. I would be interested to see if it is still being maintained. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an eyesore. I am so glad you don't live near me. Have you taken leave of your senses? What's wrong with the natural world which needs no further embellishment? Open your eyes and really LOOK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For goodness sake, anonymous, get a life !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore your creativity and wow you have got quite an artistic eye.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.