Thursday 30 September 2010

I have a troll

Question; what is a troll?
According to Wikipedia, the free internet encyclopedia, it is.... 'internet slang for someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response, disrupting normal on topic discussion'.
Strange, I thought it was a weird little creature who is afraid to show it's face, with some kind of growth defect, and cotton wool coming out of it's head.
I opened up the comments for anyone to post, because several people told me they would have liked to comment but couldn't because they don't have a google account, or similar.
You may remember the inflammatory remarks which appeared on my recent posts about what I put in my front garden. I left most of them there because it made the anonymous poster look a bit silly, but I did have to remove the last one when it got personal. It's a shame that anonymous abused my offer. Today I found an insulting and offensive comment on my post, The BIG decision. This I have removed, because I have the power to do so.
I have had experience of trolls on a forum that I visit, so I know all about them, but with a forum the problem can soon escalate and the whole infrastructure can be put in jeopardy within hours. So, Mr, Mrs, or Miss Anonymous, because this is my blog, I can post anything I like here, I can also delete anything I like. It's not a case of cherry picking the nice comments, to make me look like a nice person, anyone with a valid and intelligent point of view is welcome. What I wont tolerate is trouble makers that poke their nose in and slag me off for no reason other than to watch the sparks fly. They will not fly, you will be zapped.

9 comments:

  1. Quite right. I bounce them all the time.
    I've even been known to delete my own comments (A bottle of merlot was to blame I'm afraid...)
    But there's some desperate rsoles about. (Can I say that?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some sad people around. Your blog - you say what goes (literally).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right. Delete the sadoes!!! This is the wrong place for muck spreaders. Banish them, and send them back to their shit pit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some folks need to get a life. You've got 138 followers who love you♥ Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said. It's your blog.
    Have a great weekend.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. good for you!! some people need to get out more! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can always change the Moderation settings for "Comments" via the the Blogger Dashboard, if you want to vet any comments before they appear under a posting.

    (You probably already know this, so I'll shut up now...)

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.