Saturday 25 January 2020

Walking in South Yorkshire. Day 1.

I've just gone through 90 odd photo's and whittled it down. Taken over three days of walking. I booked the Premier Inn at Tankersley not far from junction 36 of the M1 Motorway. I have Ordnance Survey maps for that area and found some possible routes to walk. I arrived at midday on Wednesday, parked the car and went for a walk. I had about 4 - 5 hours of daylight and wanted to fit a walk in for exactly that amount of time. 
I walk with the map in my hand and use a highlight pen to mark the progress. Having something visual for reference, knowing how far I can walk in an hour, and checking the maps for opportunities to either shorten or lengthen the walk means I can make the most of the time I have got.  

First a short cut through the Industrial Estate and look for the path to take me onto a lane, and join the Trans Pennine Trail towards Wortley. 
Wortley Hall is a hotel which also caters for conferences and weddings. It's  accessed on a long driveway from the main road. I've just had a look at their web site, rooms seem very reasonable, might treat myself next time I have a few days away.

Very quiet at this time of the year, I wandered around the gardens.



This picture shows a fault in my camera. The hazy bit in the middle is where the lens is scratched. I don't know how that happened. Looks like I might have to have a new one.

Entrance to the stables, closed at the moment. There is a camping and caravan site just behind it.

A wander around the village. Indoor and outdoor seating here for a snack and drink. A shop to buy supplies. 
Wortley Men's Club was there before I was born.

The church is opposite, on the busy A629 which runs through the village. I had a look inside and the smell of cooking greeted me. A ladies group were listening to someone giving a talk about how to make home made soup. I stopped to chat with a man who was on duty looking after visitors. He gave me some of the history of the place.

Onward I went, mindful of the limited time I had. Roads and paths was my route through Howbrook, and Westwood Country Park, back to the hotel. It's very close to a busy roundabout, I had to negotiate heavy traffic at each junction. Thankfully drivers who noticed that I was trying to cross eased off a bit and I was able to sprint across. 
My only entertainment for the night was the television. Unfortunately my small netbook has stopped working due to Windows 7 packing up. I will need to sort that out for my next trip, maybe have to have a new device. I also forgot to take my mobile phone so I was completely cut off from the outside world while I was there. At least I got plenty of sleep, I dozed off while lying on the bed watching some mindless programmes. 
8 Miles walked today. More pics next time. Toodle pip.  ilona

11 comments:

  1. Wortley Hall is very pretty. I went to the link and checked it out. Yesterday we walked around the City of Orange, CA, USA and my Fitbit showed a little over 3 miles so I think 8 miles is a lot. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you always find interesting things to photograph.Do you google the area before you set off?.I used to love reading maps when I was at school and my Dad was very good at drawing at a map to where ever we were going to on our holidays.Unfortunate that you forgot your mobile,but sometimes it must be great to just cut off from the outside world,lol.At least you know that your kitties are being well looked after by your friend!.Thanks for taking us with you on this break and I will look forward to the next lot of photos.....I didnt get to the new Morrisons today because it hadnt opened yet.Instead we went to the Loros charity shop near it...now I know that I said that I wasnt going to buy any more clothes for a year,lol,but there was a like new duffel coat in there Age 14 years.I havent had a duffel for about 35 years and it fit me great.It was even better when I got to the till and they only charged me 50p for it because it was from the childrens section!!.Hope that you are having a lovely weekend.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wortley looks a lovely little village, drove through it a lot but never visited Wortley Hall and there is a small market town called Penistone just a short drive away,a bit like Holmfirth, Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon if I stay at Wortley next time, I will be able to walk to Penistone.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful building and those gardens must be amazing in the summer! Glad you enjoyed yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual loving the scenery. Can't wait for my next morning installment! Thankyou. Always gobsmacked by how green everything is!,

    ReplyDelete
  6. The free upgrade to Windows 10 that Microsoft offered several years ago still works, here's a link to cnet, a respectable site with help and info.

    The good thing is, in most cases, it could actually improve the usability of your computer as it has good support for older devices.

    Here's the link;-

    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/can-i-still-download-windows-10-free-yes-heres-how/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the photos and commentary, much appreciated as I really enjoy your wanderings and where you visit; we are so lucky to have such beautiful countryside in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ilona, I forgot to say that you teaching your friend basic sewing stitches has got me back into exploring that, I believe you named 7 stitches for beginners so I will have to look at taking it up again. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. Look on yooootoooob for videos of basic embroidery stitches. There are plenty to choose from. My friend has finished the needle case and will be bringing it tomorrow to show, and another sewing session.

      Delete
  9. Hello thanks for the pictures, looks lovely.

    I can highly recommend the "fire" device for browsing etc. (sold at Amazon / Argos) frequently on offer at £29.99 really good value, reliable fast & easy to use.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.