Wednesday, 12 August 2026

A whole day blog post

 Good morning.

I am going to do something a bit different today. This post will be a 'Day in the Life' format. I will keep the computer running, and will be coming back to it to add some updates. A running commentary if you like. It's going to be another hot one, so I will be in and out of the house depending what jobs I have planned to do. 

7.30am. First coffee drunk, with half a banana and a slice of bread with passion fruit curd. Mickey upstairs, he likes it there. First bowl of food served. Oscar has been in for his breakfast. Mayze has gone outside, she likes to snooze in the shelter at the summer house. I will be delivering her food to her out there. First wheelie bin collection lorry has been. Another one to come. Two bins being emptied today. 

7.40am. Checking around the internet. Latest happenings. Rupert Lowe has called off Restore's talks with Reform. It's getting personal and Rupert can't be bothered with it. John Cleese is having a spat with Mathew Stadlen. Andy Burnham says middle class areas will need to play their part and take more asylum seekers. Kelly-Jay Keen says the police want to speak to her about her speech at the Kingdom Rally, and a couple of Tweets. She says, come and arrest me. Burnham's prison plans could raise risks of mistaken releases. Lucy Davis, The Office star, reveals incurable cancer diagnosis. It's too late for chemo. The Home Office says they are going to cut down on dodgy shops on the High Street.  

Back soon.

9am. Eating breakfast at the computer. Slice of bread spread with peanut butter, fried egg, grated cheese. New post from The Home Office. 

🚨13 more asylum hotels have closed and are being returned to local communities: Ramada Jarvis Hotel, Loughborough Chimney House Hotel, Sandbach Britannia Ashley Hotel, Hale Gold Thorn Hotel, Wolverhampton Grand Metropole Hotel, Blackpool Nottingham Hotel, Nottingham Grosvenor Hotel, Stratford-upon-Avon Staycity Apartments Deptford Bridge, Lewisham Needham House, Hitchin Holiday Inn Bridgwater Holiday Inn Express Dunstable Dubrovnik Hotel, Bradford Best Western Brook Hotel, Norwich

Back soon.

9.30am. Breakfast finished. I watched this video while eating. This is a talking point for yoootooob creators.

Back soon.

12.15pm. Back from Coffee Morning. It's a short walk to the club and I see that the local yoooofs have scattered litter around the Church so now I am going to clear it up.

1.30pm. Back home. There was more litter than I first thought. Found some on a footpath around the back of the church. Now I need to sit down. It is so darn hot out there.

2.30pm. Lunch is served. Egg noodles and a handful of peas. Splash of oil, Oyster and Spring Onion stir fry sauce, splash of sherry, add one cheese and onion roll cut into four pieces. Top with grated cheese. The water levels in the bowls on the lawn are going down rapidly. The birds are loving their baths. Now going to have a snoop around the internet while I eat.

Back again.

Finished eating. I see a new Starbucks Drive Thru is opening tomorrow. It's sited next to the football ground. There are three other Starbucks nearby. Do we need another one. More litter picking to do on the roadside verges in and out of Scunthorpe.
The opening, tomorrow Thursday 13th August, marks the latest stage in the development of the leisure park, which has already seen Taco Bell and Burger King open on the site. Work on the Starbucks initially got underway in spring 2024, with foundations laid for the proposed drive-thru.
Going out for an hour. Want to check on that fly tip I saw yesterday. Back soon.

5.15pm. I'm back.
I went through all the bags of the fly tip. Plenty of evidence of where it came from. Name and address. Now to do the office work. Get the photo's from the camera onto the computer and update the report I did yesterday to the Council. I've just eaten an ice cream to cool down. I would have done a bit of litter picking while I was there, but it's far too hot. Catch ya later.

8pm. I've done some sewing. Still making flowers, still not sure what I am going to do with them An idea will come to me soon. I've been in and out with a watering can a dozen or more times, trying to keep my plants alive. The leaves on the Silver Birch over the back in the garden behind mine are starting to turn yellow and float down to the ground. It's harder to keep the floors clean inside the house when I keep bringing them in stuck to my crocs. It seems there was a partial eclipse of the sun tonight. I missed it. The sun is blindingly bright at the moment. I've had a sandwich for tea, or was it dinner. Not hungry at the moment.

9.30pm. Mayze has been in for her dinner, now she has gone out again. I will take her supper out to her before I go to bed, and she can stay in the summer house shelter. The first hedgehog appeared at 8.45pm, now there are three of them out there. I have a glass of sherry diluted with fruit juice. I often mix drinks to give a varied taste. I bought some cheap solar lights for the garden but they haven't lit up and it's now dark. I don't think I had the switch on the right setting. Let's see what happens tomorrow night. Now I'm going to have a look at some videos. Nico Brina is on tour with his boogie woogie show. He is live in Hungary at the moment. Another one to watch is Heidi on her canal boat. She has recently done the Caledonian Canal in Scotland with her friend Gabby, they hired a cruiser to do it. There are some good camping videos to catch up with. Emily and Ben are easy to watch. I see Tom Jones is on tour, I have tried to watch him but he has lost his sparkle. There are lots of tiny home videos which I like. How to build one and live in a small space.

9.44pm and I'm going to wind this up. Checking out for now. Catch ya tomorrow.
Toodle pip. ilona

PS. I've just been to Rachel's blog. She has put out a down to earth common sense post about our current Prime Minister. Take a look and see if you agree with her.

16 comments:

  1. I like your all day blog posts Ilona as you are very much a busy lizzy.it is always great to hear what the cats are up too.The passion fruit spread sounds nice I must go to a farm shop and look for somex love Jo dorset

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something new to try. I am wilting in the heat but I must do something to occupy my mind. I think it's time to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Currently 33 degrees C here in Oxfordshire,.... I'm in with the curtains closed,... eating seams like a good option,.... greek salad I think ,... keep cool Ilona,... and carry on !!!! Charlotte Oxford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 21c at the moment at 8.15 in the morning here. It will rise I think.

      Delete
  4. Love this post. You just can’t imagine needing so many coffee spots. Are that many people buying coffee out? I don’t understand why they pay such a price. To each their own I suppose. Have a great rest of your day. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People don't seem to be organised these days. They leave the house without any thoughts about how they will eat or drink for the rest of the day. If they want to pay crazy prices for the junk food they consume, let them.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. Offensive comment removed. Don't come back.

      Delete
    4. Offensive? It was MY truth

      Delete
    5. I don't care about your truth. Don't come back.

      Delete
    6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed this day in the life post Ilona. I often watch these on You Tube too. Love seeing what other folk get up to.
    I too love watching Tiny Home tour videos, both building one & living in one.
    They are forecasting for us here in New Zealand to have your incredibly HOT summer this coming year so I don't especially look forward to that. So hard to keep my large garden alive. Hope you have a good sleep after a busy day Ilona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The start of another day. So lucky to be alive. Some rain would be nice.

      Delete
    2. 36 days without rain here in Swindon. I'd go out and do a rain-dance, but it's too hot to move..... Jacky

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you. Something to try, a bit of allsorts.

      Delete

I might publish your comment, or I might not.