Happy Sunny Sunday.
A few more pics from yesterday at Elsecar, which is near Barnsley in South Yorkshire. There is an antiques centre, a big one. I didn't look around it all. Some interesting relics from the past, but there is nothing I need or want. I don't collect stuff any more. If I was in the market for buying things to set up a new home, I would definitely search out second items from days or even years gone by. Antiques still have a lot of life left in them, unlike the cheap chipboard stuff which will have a very short life.
Don't bother with a posh jewellery shop, some beautiful items here. Garden tools galore.
Maybe I should start my own bottle collection, from what I find in hedge bottoms. As a committed Ford girl, I was tempted to buy this. Nope, don't need it.
It was becoming hotter by the minute as I looked for a shady place to sit. A bench next to a wall gave some respite. Two young ladies sat down next to me. I exchanged pleasantries as I anticipated a light hearted conversation. One of them was tapping away on her smartphone. A couple of minutes later they both got up and made their excuses, they had to go and catch the bus home, which was due any minute. I walked out of the Heritage Centre in search of the village. It was really too hot to go for a walk, but I made the effort. The church seems like a good start. As I entered the gate to go to the front door I was approached by a lady who seemed pleased to see me. She asked me if I would take a photo of the four of them together. There was grandma who was married at the church many years ago. Daughter, possibly in her fifties, grand daughter possibly in her twenties, and great grand daughter who was in a pushchair. I was happy to oblige, as chief photographer for a few minutes.
I saw quite a lot of wonky graves in the churchyard, and in the burial ground across the road. Headstones leaning perilously to one side, some collapsed altogether. In this day and age of health and safety messages everywhere, I was surprised to see no warning signs here. Sadly the church was locked so I couldn't look inside.
Across the road from the church is this beautiful old mill, now an Arts and Crafts Centre. The stone construction is typical of the architecture in Yorkshire. I was beginning to feel a bit wilted so I headed back to my car. Time to go home. Just one more place to stop and take photographs. Something I had seen on the way to Elsecar, which had shocked me.
Enjoy your Sunday. Catch ya later. Toodle pip. ilona
No comments:
Post a Comment
I might publish your comment, or I might not.