Wednesday 27 April 2011

Buy it when it's cheap and freeze it

While you have been watching me on the box I have been sorting my shopping out. I went to the other end of town today, in search of Felix cat food on special offer, and found some at Pet's At Home. This is not a shop I would normally buy from as everything is too expensive, but on my cherry picking expeditions sometimes they have got exactly what I want. I will not pay more than £2.50 for a box of 12 pouches, and there is always one of the big shops or supermarkets who will have it at the right price. So I stocked up enough for when I go on my hols.

Right next door to Pets At Home is Morrisons, so a look in there for reductions on food about to go out of date. Bingo, some good buys on the bread counter and the chiller cabinet. I got four family size packets of Tortelloni, down to 45p each. Was £2.29 each. That's a massive saving of £7.36.

I split them into 16 individual portions, and now they are in the freezer. Add some steamed veg to these and I have 16 very cheap meals.

As you can see by my till receipt, most of the items are reduced, that is my weekly shop for £10.91, and £3.78 of that is for cat items. The Value cat litter which I mix with the special offer Tesco litter, and four small balls for the kittens to play with.


My freezer is full and I have a swede, onions, carrots, and bananas left from last week, so I don't need to buy anything else.

14 comments:

  1. Watched and was impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw you on TV Ilona - well done you, and those boys' knickers looked okay too :O)

    I must admit I was very much hoping that they would show some of your fantastic creative work, but at least we get to see and appreciate some of it here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were great, I feel sure they will feature more Ilona moments in the coming weeks. I hoped to see some of your creative stuff too, perhaps there is more of that to come. You could fill a whole programme with the bags, they are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy pants and juice! Sorry, they could have done better.. your amazing forays to Tesco or very cheap holidays would have been more informative for the masses! Well done though on your lovely screen presence

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on those bargains I love tortellini.

    However, nevermind that you were on the telly again and you did so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I buy a lot of stuff that is marked down. I know what stores to go to for what things and often know about when they do their marking down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed SS tonight but will catch it on iplayer over the next few days. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish we could watch Superscrimpers here in the US!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh i didnt realise it was on, i must look in your posts to find find the name of the programme and catch it on the internet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here I am at nearly 11pm, and they haven't yet put it on 4oD! What do they want to go home for? Can't someone stay late to put it on the internet for us folks who don't have telly?!! ;-)
    I am looking forward to seeing you on the box again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well here I am at midnight and it's still not on 4oD, might as well go to bed.

    Dear me, Louise, keep up, ha ha. Super Scrimpers, 8.30pm, Channel 4, Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saw you on Superscrimpers too - thought you were excellent. Look forward to seeing you on it again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I watched the programme, thought you were very good, are you going to be on there again? x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done Ilona, a fine appearance! It was great to see you again. I agree with Janet though, they could have used more useful tips from you than boys' pants and diluted juice, a nice quick (energy-saving),cheap and healthy veggie recipe perhaps. I did like their caption for the juice item though: ''Iloona has no juice on the loose in her hoose''. Are you Scottish? :-D

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.