Monday 18 April 2011

Twinkly lights for you to make

This post is for Little Blue Mouse, and anyone else who wants to have a go at making a tee light holder. It's dead easy. First take a drinks can, tall ones are the best, or you can use those super slim ones, energy drinks I think.

With a pair of nail scissors, cut the bottom off. As neat as you can but it doesn't have to be perfect. Now be carefull how you handle it and don't cut your fingers.

Next get a big pair of scissors and cut strips straight down, all around the can. Narrow strips are best but not too narrow because they can break off.


This is what you end up with.


Then get a small knife, or the nail scissors, and pull each strand between blade and thumb. You must use your other hand to hold the bottom of the strand or it will break off. I couldn't because I was holding the camera. The tighter you squeeze the strand the more curly it will be. You might like to vary the pressure so you get tight and loose curls. This is how florists curl their ribbon.

And this it it finished. You need to flatten the ring pull, or pull it off altogether if the bottom will not sit flat on the surface. I had the flash on for this picture.

And then took this one without the flash. A lovely warm glow reflecting in the metal.


You could make lots of these and dot them round a garden if you are having a barby, only if it's not windy though. There is another version where you leave two opposite strands intact to form a handle so you can hang it in a tree. To do that, in the first step you cut the bottom off in two pieces, and leave a piece going across the middle. Have fun making these.

Well I'm just about ready for tomorrow, they have told me what we will be filming, so I know what to expect. I think you will see a bit more of me than what's on here, ha ha. Not letting on you will have to wait and see. It might be a quick post tomorrow night, as I think we have a busy day. It's a hard life being a movie star, ha ha. OMG what have I done.

20 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea! I'm a tea light-candle fanatic, so I'll have to have a go at this!

    I hope you don't mind if us humble people still comment here, now you're rich and famous!!

    I can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to use up drinks cans - cant wait to see you on super scrimpers x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew an old can could look so glam!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take it they are going to be filming you in your boys' underpants? Do let us know when it is going to be shown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne. I think I will have to correct you there, it's not what I've got up my sleeve, it's what they've got up theirs. I won't have a say in the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is so cool. Just lovely on tables for a bbq some nice summer eveing. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Intriging!
    I still try to use the loo paper as you suggested, 2sheets for a 'p' and 3 for the other!

    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck for tomorrow. I hope all goes well.

    Thats a great way of reusing a can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Luck for tomorrow,i saw you here in Australia last year on the ABC,you are a star already!!love the little tea light idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for for the instructions Ilona, I will definitely give it a go.
    Can't wait to see what you've got for Super Scrimpers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats a brillant idea and yes great for bbq's :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope we see this and lots more on Super Scrimpers!

    Sftx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is great recycling, and it looks good too!. We get paid to recycle these cans here in South Australia (10cents a can), so it's a good way to make extra pocket money by collecting them.

    We just watched you in "The Hunt for The Tightest Person in Britain" that aired on our ABC last week. Loved it!! So you are now a movie star in Australia as well! Hope we get the next big one you star in lol...

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  14. well, how cute is that! you never cease to surprise me, MQ. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yikes!! Lovely idea! Unfortunately I'm a bit cack handed and slashed my ulnar arteries by mistake. Well I didn't really but I'm sure I would have. Not a good idea for Blue Peter. Please be careful if you ever recycle them. Ian x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've just been looking at this one again Ilona. I'd love to make some of these - will have to buy some beer, a good excuse!

    Are the scissors any particular ones? I only have cheapo ones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You don't have to buy beer to get a can, unless you want to. Just keep your eyes open for any that are discarded in the street or in a bin. Ordinary scissors do the job, big preferable, easier to cut straight lines. Good luck. Have a look at Little Blue Mouse blog, she has made a flower to hang in a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've made one! I'm so proud of my creation :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done Willow, now you can make lots of them and spread them around. Even more prettyness

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.