Monday 7 August 2023

Lincolnshire villages

I was in the Lincolnshire Wolds today. There are several villages between Barton on Humber, and Brigg. I parked at Bonby.  
Let's have a look at St Andrews Church. Someone has been busy, they have a new Lytch Gate. Well almost new. The support timbers are new, and the old roof has been put back on top. The old gate has been put back on as well. So, a nice refurbishment job. 
It is a Grade 2 listed building with a 17th century brick tower.  

I climbed the hill out of Bonby onto Middlegate Road. There are some really nice views across to Scunthorpe. The Steel Works can be seen on the horizon. 

I spotted several white boxes in the middle of a field of blue flowers. Zoom in to have a closer look. Bee hives. 

It was a long trek on a straight road to Elsham. The sun was warm, the wind swept across the fields. Very pleasant walking conditions. I kept stopping to admire the views. 
It's difficult to take a picture of the whole of All Saints Church Elsham. The grounds have a lot of trees. Not easy to find a good spot. 
I see they have managed to save the old telephone box. It looks wonderful with it's cascades of flowers, hanging from the planters. 

A little garden has been built around it. 

Leaving Elsham I walked along the edge of Hillside Plantation on my right, with several fields of this crop on my left hand side. The plants were taller than me. Possibly sweetcorn, I am not sure. 
I was beginning to feel a bit weary at this point as I came into Worlaby. Thank goodness churches usually have a bench or two to rest ones legs. This is the Church of St Clement. 

There is a charming wooden porch. 

I got back to the car just as the six o clock news was starting. I always have Radio 4 on in the car. Home by half past. 

Only 7.5 miles today, it felt like more. This old body is slowing down. Orange mark today. A previous walk on the blue mark was 14 miles, and the pink mark was 13 miles. 

I always feel happy when I have been out for a walk. A little tired maybe, but I will sleep well tonight, and wake up refreshed in the morning.
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

10 comments:

  1. It doesn’t matter the distance. It’s being in the moment and enjoying all the beautiful sights. Sleep well mother!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My priorities are changing now I am older. I pushed myself to clock up the miles over seven years of the challenge. Now I am finding more pleasure in absorbing the wonder of nature, and taking time to reflect on the peacefulness of the countryside.

      Delete
  2. I never realised there was a nice view of Scunthorp 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. View it from a distance is more advisable ;o)

      Delete
  3. havent been to the low villages for a good few years but the ridge is a breathless climb so you arent doing at all badly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's handy that they are all in a line. Taking in the river walk as well adds a bit of variety.

      Delete
  4. Hey Ilona seven miles is still a really good amount of walking I think your fitness will see you through many more years and enjoying the scenery is a great bonus on a walk.im glad to see your interesting places you take us on xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. poemblog34.blogspot.com has gone live btw

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published after my approval.