Tuesday 29 August 2023

One pot meals

I like one pot meals. Chuck everything in the pan, saves time, and washing up. In goes herbs and spices, never the same combination, and by some miracle it all comes out tasting lovely. Here we have frozen mushrooms, frozen broad beans, fresh carrots, fresh cauliflower, fresh spinach, and pre cooked rice. And why not throw in a few slugs of beer. I start the cooking with a splash of extra virgin olive oil, and add fruit juice if it needs some moisture. 
Fresh mushrooms, spiralised fresh courgette, pre cooked rice, fresh spinach, on a slice of seeded bread. I don't bother to toast the bread if there is moisture in the food to soak into it. 

Simple tagliatelle and frozen peas cooked for three minutes in a small pan of water. Half a slice of shop bought cheese and onion pasty, cold. Sometimes have this with grated cheese, or mayo, or a drizzle of toasted sesame seed oil. 
I have one of these quick meals almost every day. Today I have two portions of veg stew with tagliatelle and couscous. Made in a bigger pan yesterday. So it's a warm up day in the microwave today. 
Mixing fresh and frozen veg makes a simple and convenient meal. Another tip, add some Danish blue cheese to your one pot cooking, and stews. It gives it a deeeeelishussss flavour. If you have a jar of chutney, add a spoonful of that as well. 
See ya later. Toodle pip.   ilona

11 comments:

  1. They all look deleeEesh! Especially the first one. Haven't been able to find any fresh broad beans this year (maybe to do with the weather) but you've set me off looking at that meal and will be buying some frozen ones. Mmm mmm. Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frozen broad beans are a good substitute, and convenient. I have started to use frozen chopped onions as well, because I hate the stinging of the eyes when you peel them.

      Delete
    2. If you keep onions in the fridge and chop them as soon as you take them out, they don't make you cry! I have been doing this for years.

      Delete
  2. All the plates look delicious! What spiralizer do you use?
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. When spiralizing became fashionable a few years ago I bought a contraption a bit like a mincer where you turn the handle. It was a waste of time so I took it back to the shop and got my money back. I now have a small green plastic cone thing, like a witches hat, or a pencil sharpener. It has metal teeth and as you twist the vegetable and push it through, it comes out shredded. For flavour I mostly use turmeric, curry powder, vegetable stock cubes, garlic granules, and coriander.

      Delete
    2. Thank you!
      Michelle.

      Delete
  3. Frozen veg is really good value for money. Fresh cauliflower is just too expensive these days. $4.99 and up for a small head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A smallish fresh cauliflower is about £1 here. Bigger ones are £1.50 to £2.00.

      Delete
  4. Debi from Leicester.I love one pot meals.The less washing up to do,the better!.I was given some runner beans at Tutbury church at the weekend,so they are going in the pot today.We went to a fruit n veg showing at the club and you should have seen the onions and leeks that people had grown.They were huge!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a glut of runner beans and courgettes at the moment. People here in the village put them out front and offer them for sale, or give them away free.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy cooking and eat a healthy vegetarian diet but I absolutely hate washing up so one pot meals are fine by me. Yours look really good and well balanced.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.