Tuesday 9 January 2024

Shout out for cash.

 I found the topic for today's post, on Sue's blog. I can't go on there and join in, so I will put a few thoughts of my own here about saving loose change. This is a habit a lot of people have, to put their coins in a jar and have a count up once a year, or even two years. This gives them a nice little nest egg to spend at Christmas. 

This way of saving may become extinct in the years to come, as we move towards Central Bank Digital Currency. We are already half way there when shops start refusing cash and will only take payment by card, or an app on a phone. With the closure of so many bank branches it will become more difficult to access our own cash from our accounts. 

The banks say they are closing because of lack of walk in customers. In truth this was always the plan, to move everybody over to internet and electronic banking and payments. Spending cash is anonymous, no one to judge you on how you spend your money. Spending electronically leaves a trail. Your lifestyle, what you buy, and how much money you have is there for everyone to see. Your privacy is greatly diminished by every recorded transaction you make.

I was interested in the comments on Sue's blog post. It seems some people have become aware of the impending changeover to CBDC, and some of them are prepared to let it happen and go along with it. Personal choice of course. 

You may remember that all this upheaval started at the beginning of the plandemic. We were told that cash, coins and notes were dirty, and passing them around would help to spread the virus. That conspiracy theory is now debunked, as with a lot of the panic measures that were brought in to keep us safe.

If I may quote from Sue's comments. . . . . . . . 

Because of the pandemic I hardly use cash now and I think this is bad on so many levels. 

As I have explained above. But if you carry on as you are, you can't complain when all your income and expenditure are just numbers on a spreadsheet. It's not to late to revert back to spending cash. 

The problem is there are people who still use cash, like taxi drivers and people in the markets. I don't see it as a problem, the changeover has happened. The banks withdraw their services, and left many people stranded. 

Using cash is only a problem to those who want us to move towards globalisation. Those who want to control our every move. Closing banks is a part of this plan. It is deliberate to leave people stranded. 

Banks don't seem to like it when you turn up with bags of coins. I simply use them up as I go along. 

Sensible solution. 

We use cash a lot in all the small shops. 

Another sensible solution. 

Now I barely use cash and wonder how long it will be before we are an entirely cashless society. 

It will come sooner or later, unless people wake up and say no.

I don't like the idea of a cashless society, and cheques are very nearly a thing of the past. 

I wrote a cheque just the other day, and put it in the post for my water bill.  

Posts about this topic are going to come up for many more years. I have no wish to get into long conversations about it here. Please go to Sue's blog if you wish to discuss further. 

It's a dry, cold day, so I am going for a walk. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

14 comments:

  1. It's worrying isn't it? The banks don't think about their elderly customers that can't work online banking. All about keeping control of us and monitoring our every move. People that don't see that are very naive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those that control us don't see us as human beings. I will fight the good fight for those who are not able to grasp this new way of doing things.

      Delete
  2. Maybe slightly off topic but look how Trudeau, the Prime Minister of Canada froze the bank account of the truckers.
    Look how the farmers in the Netherlands have been treated, resulting in a fight back that gave them a voice in their Parliament.
    Look at Germany, in the last few days. Will Olaf Scholz do a Trudeau?
    ATM the German farmers are far too wise and still use cash. Certainly, rural Germany has the lowest uptake of card payment.
    Watching...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your off topic comment does have links to this post. Moving to CB Digital Currency is just one step of many planned, which will eventually enslave us. It's a pity that people can't see that. We must keep using cash.

      Delete
  3. Isnt a cheque "cashless " I do feel things are going too far and too fast. Its absolutely ridiculous to park your car you have to download an app, and the right app to pay. That's really not right. It discourages the very members of society who probably need the most help. Ginny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably, but it was the easiest option for me. The alternatives were, pay at the Post Office with cash, the PO make a charge for this. Pay on the phone by tapping in account numbers and suchlike. Nope, don't want to do that. Set up a direct debit account, no thanks. As a cantankerous old woman I demand to do things my way, and make life difficult for them.

      Delete
  4. I make it a point to use cash as much as possible, even for expensive things. And I pay for parking with cash, not with the app which we are told is so much easier to use. And I don´t use any loyalty cards. All the big companies trade their customer data. Maybe there comes the time when my health insurance tells me how much wine or sweets I bought and they have to increase my premium due to my unhealthy lifestyle?
    Hilde in Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilde, you are wide awake. Keep using cash.

      Delete
  5. I don’t think k it will be long before banks charge for paying my cheque.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Folks could do well to contact their MP about it. There is quite a useful MP finder and template letter in the big brother watch website you can personalize the template with your own message https://bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/campaigns/no-spycoin/#emailMP I emailed mine and was pleased to note in her reply, that she's very skeptical about CBDC. People are quite likely to get a response because there's a general election looming of course. I pay by cash and if a shop doesn't accept cash I just leave the stuff on the counter and walk out. Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I went to lift a substantial amount of cash from the bank. The bank was very intrusive asking what I wanted it for, my own cash. They are really doing everything to discourage people to lift money. It was to pay my decorator and money as Xmas gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also asked by the bank when I withdrew cash from my account to pay for repairs to my narrowboat. I told them it was my money and basically none of their business. The second time I made a largish withdrawal the cashier asked if I was going on a nice holiday. I told her that it was for extensive work on my boat and thanks to lockdown we’d been unable to do the jobs so things had escalated. That soon shut her up.

      Delete
  8. I love writing cheques. At any and every opportunity!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published after my approval.