Wednesday, 30 September 2026

A line in thread

 Here is a post I pulled out of the drafts folder. The photo's I took at an Art Exhibition at The Ropewalk on Saturday. Jane Walker is the artist. She uses stitching and painting in her pictures. Here is a bit of blurb about her. 

Jane Walker is a Sheffield based artist who studied at the Royal Academy Schools graduating in 1990. Her artworks are influenced by cities and form abstracted urban landscapes, often drawing together painting and musical performance-based artworks.

I make 2-D art work, that relates to landscape painting. For a long while I made drawings of cities, now the work is abstract. I put structures in the surface then gradually fade them with horizontal lines. When the upright structures have become too difficult to see I put in new structures and repeat the process.

The small canvases are £80 each. I looked closely at them. They are all about stitches and texture, layered with paint. Can I make something like this. Should I try replicating her work. I neither like or dislike her pictures. My imagination has drawn a blank. The techniques she uses are interesting, that's all I can say about them. 








I had a chat with a man who was also viewing this exhibition. He went to art college years ago so it was interesting to get his perspective on this. 
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are open.