Saturday 23 April 2016

Let's have a catch up

Hello and Good Morning. Let's have a catch up. I feel as if I have been away, though I am still here. Some of my posts are chatty every day stuff, like a diary, but every so often I feel the need to write an article about something that is bugging me. I don't want my blog to turn into another magazine full of articles, and I don't want it to be full of banal chit chat, so you get a bit of everything. Today we'll catch up, it's the weekend, so chill. 
There's been a lot going on in the media this week, it was such a shock to hear of Victoria Wood's passing, I don't think anyone saw that coming. Wasn't she just brilliant and talented. I am pleased that her family managed to keep it all out of the press until the last minute. I hate it when news breaks of someone's terminal illness and the press picks it all to bits even before the person has gone. For goodness sake, someone is ill, we don't need pictures of them slipping slowly into oblivion, let's have some respect for the families. Rant over.
The pictures of the Royal Family were lovely, I like that we have a Royal Family and not a President. I have every respect for the Queen, she stepped into her role at a young age, and has given her whole life to her family and her duties. A late Happy Birthday your Majesty. 
The pictures of Catherine and William in India were charming. Her dresses were fabulous, and they  both looked happy despite the endless photocalls. They cope with this intrusion very well. As usual there has been a lot of trolls at large slagging them off in the press, I hope they don't read the venomous bile spouted forth in their direction. I don't care how much money they have, or how much they cost the country. They give great value for money bringing in millions of tourists from all over the world. Who would step into their shoes and give their life to their jobs? I certainly wouldn't, I value my freedom.  
Look what I invented. I have two watering cans, found in a skip, (house clearance), but they had no sprinklers on them. I need to sprinkle water onto my flower beds, so I found two small plastic bottles that fit the spouts exactly. 
Cut some small holes in the bottom and bingo, sprinklers. Works a treat.


My breakfast this morning. Bran Flakes, nuts, dried fruits, and seeds. Strawberries on a yellow sticker which I found yesterday after calling in at the small Tesco on my way back from the council dump. Grapes I bought a week ago from the big Tesco, also yellow sticker, still fine. Value soya milk and a couple of spoons of Value yogurt. Deeelishus.

I was in Home Bargains the other day, stocking up on pet food, when I was asked by a young girl if she had seen me on the television. Oooh, I was spotted, ha ha. I think it was the pink sun visor which gave it away. She saw me on the Jo Brand documentary. I had a  lovely chat with her, she doesn't walk a lot, but she loves drumming.

Talking of television, reader John has alerted me to the fact that Rip off Britain starts a new series on Monday, this is the programme I did the filming for in December. Seems such a long time ago now. The programme goes out each weekday on BBC 1 at around 9am, repeated the following morning early, over eight days. I have had a look through the Radio Times schedule. It doesn't give much information for forthcoming programmes but it does say they are investigating sell by dates on Tuesday the 3rd of May. So I think that might be the one. I will keep a look out for anything in the TV magazines leading up to that date. If anyone sees anything, can they please let us know so we can all watch.

It's looking like another nice day, so I'm going to get off this computer and do something else. Thanks for popping in, I hope your weekend is good. We'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

16 comments:

  1. Hello Ilona what a lovely post. I have been up and have been lesson planning and am washing clothes and making the most of the good weather. All is well in the South of England.I like you am looking forward to doing gardening in the summer. yay. Have a good day. I will look out for you in the documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria W was exceptionally talented. I've enjoyed reading and watching the royal coverage on telly and on the internet. My heritage on my Mother's side is French Canadian and indigenous first nation so would like Quebec to break away from the Royal family - that said, the Queen has done a tremendous job and don't like the vicious comments. Trolls should look hard at themselves before commenting. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog, Ilona, although we are poles apart in our lifestyles - I have a husband, no pets (or husband could be considered a pet, har, har!) and I don't shop in the evenings looking for yellow stickers, but I just love and admire the way you have a frutal life and enjoy it as well. I also enjoy the variety of things you talk about on your blog, some serious, some not so serious. Your bottle-top watering cans are a brilliant idea. I find that slugs always find their way into our watering can (which is always left out in the garden) and then when you try and use the sprinkler, there's a little blighter lodge in there, asleep, and needs a poke with a stick to dislodge him.
    Yes, I admire the Queen too. A selfless woman with grace who has performed her rule flawlessly for more than sixty years.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant "frugal" not frutal, and the Queen has performed her "role" not rule! Silly me. If I type too slowly and then check what I've read, something times out and I can't leave a comment! So I have to type at breakneck speed! Hence errors ...
      Margaret P

      Delete
  4. Hi Ilona, love the idea for the watering cans and agree I love the Royal family and wonder what sort of nation we would be if we did not have them and they do bring in a lot of money from tourists etc.
    Enjoy the sunny weekend,
    Hazel c uk
    PS thank you for answering my question re council tax.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your idea with the watering cans I would never have thought of that! Still trying to read the whole blog - up to August 12 at the moment should finish it by xmas lol Keep it up I love it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are brave, soldiering on. Chuffed that you are finding something of interest to read.

      Delete
  6. I love watching the royal family (except Camilla). I was heartbroken when Diana died and it is a great consolation to watch Prince William, Kate and their children be a breath of fresh air in the palace. Tell me, how do the English people feel about Camilla?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lana. I think a lot of English people would rather Camilla not be Queen. There is a lot of talk about missing a generation, and William becoming King. I have heard mixed feelings about Camilla, some think she is OK, but I suspect that many are not in a hurry to forgive her.

      Delete
  7. Great idea for the can spouts.
    I always enjoy your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the watering can idea! I'm going to steal it if the need arises. My cans have spouts at the moment.
    I can't judge the Queen, since i'm American. She seems like a lovely woman, from what i've been able to gather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are famous! I love the watering can idea and may well steal it. How did you get them to stay on?
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane. I found two with the right size top, and jammed them on. They seem a tight fit.

      Delete
  10. Very clever the watering can idea! I loved the dresses the duchess wore in India - I thought she looked respectful and young at the same time. However, have read a lot of negative comments usually focusing on rubbish about her choice of shoes (!) and that a shawl is not necessary. Hello, respect for others. It gets me hopping mad how much they criticize her appearance and also other young women - leave them alone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that is clever! I have a couple of watering cans without sprinklers, will certainly try that tip. Your garden is look very nice, will look forward to seeing it grow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very clever with the watering cans!
    It is a long weekend here in Australia and that meant lots of marked-down bargains (like your yellow stickers!) - I posted a nice recap here: https://worklifefamilyfitness.wordpress.com/2016/04/25/anatomy-of-a-167-grocery-shop/

    We are quite different as I have a large family to feed but some things are the same regardless.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.