Tuesday 18 December 2018

Me, the International artist, ha ha.

Yes, I have posted about this before, this is a photograph taken by my friend who bought the wall hanging for his girlfriend. He said she will love it because she is into arts and crafts. It is now in New York, he has gone to visit her and taken it with him because it's a Christmas present. But, it will be coming back in the New Year, when she comes back with him to start a new life here. It will hang in her sewing room which he has been preparing for her. I love a happy ending. 
I was going to go to a free motion sewing workshop last week, but I had to cancel because of an impending disaster that I had to get sorted. The disaster didn't happen, thank goodness, but I missed the workshop. I hope there will be another one next year.

I need more practice, so here goes. It does seem weird that I can sew in any direction and not turn the fabric round. I am having trouble with regulating the length of the stitches, they are very tiny, and the the speed of the machine is difficult to control. Anyway, I'll keep at it.

Coloured in with felt tip marker pens.


Windy and raining again, looking like a day indoors.  ilona

8 comments:

  1. Ilona, I am trying to learn how to stitch with the free arm as well. You are doing great. It does take some getting used to. Love what you have done and coloring with the pens is genius. Keep up the good work. New items for your next art show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story to go with your wall hanging! It will be loved and maybe even passed down to future generations if they have a family!.Sorry to hear you had to miss your workshop,but I know what you mean when things happen and plans have to be altered.This happens quite often in my life.Well,its a dull rainy day here in Leicester too,so Im going to write out a few cards for the neighbours and catch up with a couple of dramas that hubby has recorded.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They already have a grown up family each, there won't be any more ;o)

      Delete
  3. My problem is trying to keep the speed of the machine (how hard I hit the pedal, knee thing) with the speed of my hands which is the end goal....I'm beginning to think I'm a lost cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Too much pressure on the foot pedal and I can't keep up with my hands. Try and go slower and I get long stitches. People have told me it's all down to practice.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad that impending disaster did not happen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to teach machine quilting , until I started a longarm quilting business. Yes the secret is practice, practice, practice, but in the end you will want to sew fast and learn to push the fabric at a steady pace. Thinking a bit ahead of the design you want to do. Have fun!
    Barb from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Ilona! I have recently taken up Free motion embroidery and quilting, and enjoy it so much! At first I thought I would never get the hang of it, but practice practice practice, and finally control of your stitches and where you want them comes about. I have watched loads of videos, but the best ones are by Jeanne Harrison,(Google) she has done a series of videos called "Feather Your Nest", you can print off a (free) instruction booklet, with practice lessons. These are quilting, but the method is the same as embroidery. It looks like you are off to a good start already! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.