Wednesday 5 June 2019

Talking to the animals at GoodHeart

As I was saying, I'm on the M5 heading north to go home, after a lovely holiday in Cornwall, and I had it in mind that there might be enough time to make a detour, to go to the Goodheart Animal Sanctuary. Junction 6 was decision time, it was late afternoon. I kept to the left hand lane of the motorway and thought, if I don't go now, I might not have the opportunity for a long time. Just go, let's do it. The worst that could happen is that I am too late and they have closed up for the day. 
I pulled in a layby and rang them, oh bother, an answer machine, I left a message.
I was on the A449 heading towards Kidderminster, then turned off on the the A443 towards Tenbury. It's not like it was a ten minute drive, the sanctuary is in the middle of the countryside a few miles from Tenbury. I found the village, Milson, after going along some narrow and twisty roads, and was hoping I might see a sign. Time was getting on, it was after 5pm, would they still be there. I rang again for directions, answer machine again. I knocked on someone's door and asked the occupier, yes, turn left here and go up the hill, it's up there, he said. 
Sure enough, a long drive took me to the entrance at Nickless Farm. Lucky me, there was someone there. Vanessa, who I had previously spoken to on the phone a few months ago when I made a donation, remembered our conversation. She invited me in for a coffee. I think she was a bit surprised about the fact that I had just driven up from Cornwall, and was heading towards home in North Lincolnshire. It's not exactly just off the route, it's a lot of miles off the route. But I am used to driving long distances so it was no big deal for me.
Dave Bourne, the manager was knocking about, busy tending to the animals, he lives onsite. He filled a bottle and showed me how to feed a lamb. Hold it's head up high. 
Oooh, I want to have a go at that.

I am liking this, and the lamb is guzzling away. It emptied the bottle in less than a minute.

Look, I've got the hang of it now.
That's it, all gone, and one happy lamb.

Dave very kindly showed me around the rest of the farm. I took some photo's but the animals didn't want to pose for the camera. My, what a sloppy wet nose you have Mr Pig. They all have names by the way, but I can't remember them.

Dave put a few pellets in a bucket and we went onto the field where the sheep were grazing. In an instant they swarmed around us, and I was able to hand feed them.

They have recently been sheared, and looked very pretty.

Look at these gorgeous young lads, saved from the slaughterhouse. They are quite tame now, after having lots of human contact. I want to cuddle one, but I think it's best that they stay behind the gate, ha ha.


Hey, don't you think I'm handsome? Yes I do actually.

Ooooh, that's nice, I love a scratch under my chin.

This little piggy didn't go to market. It is living the rest of it's life in total security.

These two are also safe, they won't be served up between two slices of bread.

Hello hens, I bet this is better than the last place you were at, crammed in with thousands of other feathered, or should I say featherless, friends. These are the lucky ones. All tucked in for the night behind bars, safe from Mr Fox.

Blimey, these two can certainly chatter. I wouldn't like to be chased across a farmyard by these.


The horses were too far out in the fields to go and have a look at them. Time was getting on, so I made my donation, and left at about 7pm. Happy in the knowledge that my money was going towards looking after these rescued animals.

Thank you to Vanessa and Dave for making me feel welcome. This visit just finished off my holiday nicely, it was the icing on the cake. I'm glad I made the effort. I don't know if I am coming down this way again, but you never know. If I am anywhere near I will pop in, or even if I am not anywhere near I will pop in, ha ha.

Check out their site, they do have open days for people to visit, if you are anywhere near Tenby/Bewdley/Stourport/Kidderminster/Ludlow.

Toodle pip.  ilona

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely place where animals have a haven. I can see you have a talent for bottle feeding lambs and having fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful! What a splendid and appropriate end to your holiday. I am so glad that they were there and made you so welcome. A perfect day for such an animal lover,

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant end to your holiday and how nice of you to have sent a donation to them!I am lucky that I have got one of these places near to me,infact about 20 mins walk away...and you know what...I havent been for about 5 years!!.I used to take the grandkids when they were smaller,there is a play park there with a picnic area and a cafe.But for some reason,I havent been since???...Madness,because I love seeing the animals!!.Maybe I thought that it was somewhere just for kids..Well now Ive made my plans for the weekend and Im going to visit!I will buy a lunch,buy an ice cream and some food to feed the animals with..they sell the proper pellets there..and have a lovely time,all on my own,surrounded by animals!Thank you for reminding me that these places do need our support,xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just loverly, as are your pictures, as always. There is an AirBnB not far from me that is on a llama farm. I want to go for one night, sometime soon . . . Much fun! Sedgwick

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great place! I'm so glad you called in to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have loved that place Ilona. We have a similar place down here but a lot smaller.
    Bet the cats will be pleased to see you..
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ilona Mayze Heidi and Oscar these photos are so delightful you are a very kind person especially to animals and I feel we are on the same path in life. The reason I follow your blog is because we have the same interests and a great love of animals. So glad you had a lovely holiday in Cornwall and thank you for the lovely photos. Pleased you enjoyed and lots of love. Amy and Benny are much better now have been nursing them like a mother hen. They are back in the pink. Love Liz Amy and Benny.xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos Ilona and so pleased you had a lovely holiday and got to visit Vanessa and Dave. We have a very small garden centre here in our village (Stewkley) and they have lots of small animal and dozens of different Ducks and Geese the children love to visit I am sure you would love it.

    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.