Friday 3 July 2020

Moving forward

History is a funny thing, we all have history. I couldn't see the point in studying history at school, why would I need to know what happened in 1066, the only date I remember. I sat at the back of the class while Mr Major waffled on, his words went in one ear and out of the other. Years later I took a coach trip of school kids to the site of the Battle of Bosworth. I walked around a field with them, reading the plaques, the teacher explaining what it was all about. To me it was just a field, like any other field. 
Sitting in a classroom learning about what happened a long time ago did not appeal to me at all. I was only concerned about what was happening in my life, here and now. Thinking about what I would do when I left school, exciting times of living as a teenager in the sixties. The importance of living, as opposed to being dead, became my focus for the future. I was intent on living my life in the best way I could, and that did not include continually revisiting the very distant past. 
Some may say we learn from the past. That might be true in some circumstances, where humans have made a complete and utter balls up of things. I have made a few bloopers, where I've thought I won't do that again, and blow me down, I did. History has a habit of repeating itself. We should learn from the past, but often we don't. We can't go back and rub out the past, it happened, it's gone. 
My blog covers about twelve years of my life. In that time I have moved on. Someone asked me for some more videos showing my bargain hunting shopping, I explained that I no longer search out the best bargains in lots of different places. My circumstances have changed, yes, I still like to get the best I can for the price I can afford to pay. But I do this mainly in one supermarket and one shop now, because for the sake of keeping myself safe I don't want to put myself at risk by being close to others. Also the frugal habits I have learnt over the past years are now paying off, I can afford a comfortable life on my pension. 
It is my belief that being stuck in the past causes a blockage in our thinking, which in turn stifles our creativity. Everything evolves, everything moves forward, and we have to find a way to move forward with it. I remember a saying I read somewhere, what's the definition of madness, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Things will never be different if people are not willing to leave the past behind and move forward. 
Erasing history altogether is not the answer, what's happened has happened, but as long as people are stuck in a timewarp, the human race will never make progress. I urge you to free yourself of the shackles of time, and strike out in this brave new world. Look to the future with hope, do not look back with despair. 
That's all for this damp Friday morning. Toodle pip.  ilona

21 comments:

  1. Agree agree agree agree
    100%
    Brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hated history in school, dropped the subject as soon as I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We weren't allowed to drop subjects, had to sit it out till the end when I left at 15.

      Delete
  3. Quite intense but interesting Ilona. The past is part of each of us for good or bad. But change is the law of life, stand still and you will get left behind. I'm grateful for good health and for each new day. Life goes on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the past is what makes us the people we are now. We can't detach ourselves from it, but we can continue to learn from it.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you and the other posters, except history was my favorite subject! I learned a lot from it, too. I think it needs to be taught, because as you said...see above!

      Delete
  4. I enjoy reading all your posts but this one is particularly meaningful. I hope you have a nice weekend.
    Kay H

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you, Ilona. Looking in the past is only good for making sure we don't repeat the bad pieces of it. Peace~ Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should learn by our mistakes. I made one heck of a blooper, twice. Once when I was young and naïve, the second time 25 years later. I won't do it a third time, ha ha.

      Delete
  6. Ilona, you are spot on! I like to reminisce now and again, but I am firmly rooted in the present and dream of the future I would like to have. It has always made sense to me that I cannot go forward if I'm looking backward. I have some friends and family members who talk of nothing but the past and how they can't understand why things have changed and how they hate it. I find talking with them for any length of time stressful and depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes think how much better life was years ago, and it's a pity we can't go back to that, but we can't, it's gone. It won't come back because we live in different times. People that hanker for the past are blocking themselves from moving forward.

      It's normal to reminisce, I do it sometimes with a lifelong friend. We grew up together, but we have both moved on throughout our lives in different directions. We now laugh at what we used to get up to when we were teenagers.

      Delete
  7. You so right! History was never my favorite subject either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am utterly amazed that people think we can erase all unsavoury aspects of history. Things that have happened in the past, happened, events will be forever ingrained in history. Yes, record it, put it in the archives, take a peak at it now and again, but don't drag it up in the modern world.

      Delete
  8. Totally agree. I don't believe in regrets or pining for days past. That doesn't mean we can't learn from past mistakes or errors and make amends, but history is history and there's no point in dwelling once the learning is done and amends are made. Keep moving forward indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allison for your common sense comment.

      Delete
  9. I agree with the definition of madness, but on the other hand I continue to buy a lottery ticket every week, always expecting a different outcome, for instance maybe "I" will win it this time. I always make sure I pay the bills and buy the groceries first though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped buying a lottery ticket a few months after it started. I have bought only one since then, a moment of madness I think. Life itself can be a lottery, we don't know which cards we are dealt. I have always wanted to be as sure as I can be about how my own life might pan out. I have taken small risks where the outcome might not have panned out as I expected, but I have recognised my mistake and diverted in a different direction.

      Delete
  10. Well said Iona...keep the light of hope ahead and make no regrets about the past, that is how I keep a balance and maintain a reasonably calm state of mind in what has been a very hectic and up and down life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't like history at all when I was at school. So it baffles me as to why I enjoy novels set in the Tudor times (etc) so enjoyable!
    Watching the old tennis matches on TV this week made me feel quite nostalgic for the simpler days. That surprised me...maybe because I have felt a bit emotional lately. Have never lived in the past...Always try to live in the moment xx

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.