Thursday 30 September 2021

Lews Castle and a cemetery with a view

After breakfast was served in my room, I went out for the day. I decided I needed a day off driving, so chance to get some walking miles to add to my challenge total. First a look around the Ferry Terminal and the town, the bits I had missed the night before. As luck would have it, a big boat was coming in from Ullapool. Look at that, what a beauty. It is said that when the sea is rough and the smaller ferries are unable to make the crossings, this one carries on.  


Next was the castle, as seen from a distance the previous night. There seems to be water everywhere in Stornoway. I walked alongside the river and found a footbridge to cross it, which led me into the woods around the castle. Looks rather splendid doesn't it. 

I walked all the way around it and found the entrance to get in. I looked through the glass doors, and decided not to go in. I hadn't booked, and I don't have a smartphone to zap the square code thingy, I don't want to be tracked and traced, and I don't want to cover my face. I am quite happy just to take photo's of the outside.
 

Around the back is a modern building which houses the museum. I am not that interested in museums, so I didn't go in there either. 

What I did do was have a lovely walk through the woods. This little cottage is so pretty with it's colourful garden decorations. It looks like it is occupied, what a nice place to live. 
You can see this monument and statue from a distance but to get close up was impossible. It was surrounded by ordinary spiked fencing and temporary Heras fencing.
It was time to walk out of Stornoway and get some miles in, so off I went along a long road heading towards the airport. I hoped that I might see some aircraft coming in or leaving. I came across Sandwick Cemetery. It stretched a long way out towards the sea. The weather was fine, and I was ready for a bite to eat, so a stroll around the memorial stones and a sit down seemed a good idea. When I got further into it, I saw that it also occupied the land next to it on the other side of the wall, and was in fact double the size which I thought it was.  


A little stroll around Sandwick village and I thought it was time to turn round and head back. A couple of miles up the road I saw a brown tourist sign for a Memorial. Only one mile so I thought I would take a look. I was beginning to feel a bit weary by this time but thought, I'm here now so I will make the effort. I'm glad I did. It was very emotional to stand overlooking the spot where 205 soldiers lost their lives at this point, when their yacht, the Iolaire, hit the rocks and went down. They were returning from war on January the 1st 1919, and they were in sight of Stornoway Harbour. The story is tragic. You can read about it here.    
Seats to sit for a few minutes and reflect. 

The names of those who lost their lives are forever embedded into the flagstones.  
The spot where the boat went down. 


I was glad of a comfy room to go back to after that long walk. Plenty more photo's to follow. Don't forget, it's check in day tomorrow for the International Walking Group. I have yet to add mine up. Thanks for popping in. Catch ya tomorrow. Toodle pip.   ilona

4 comments:

  1. The spot where the ship went down is very moving. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The monument put me in mind of this other piece -- Farewell to Stromness by Peter Maxwell Davies, played by Adrian Lord -- https://youtu.be/0DW2PY9QncA

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a tragic story about the sailors, I had heard of it. I would like to visit the handsome castle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you make the most of every second when you are on holiday!The story about those young men is so tragic.There lives cut short at such young ages.I thought that the cottage that you past was so pretty..just my sort of place!.And that cemetery was amazing.What a beautiful and peaceful place.xx

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.