Sunday 30 June 2013

A full can of beans

Good morning. Lack of post yesterday was due to not a sodding thing to write about, ha ha. Sometimes my head is like an empty can of baked beans, the lid is off and the contents are on their way down the hill to the sewage works. Not a bean left. However, as luck would have it, I wake up each morning with a fresh unopend can full of beans. I was out walking half an hour ago, just around the village, and something struck me. All kinds of thoughts flit in and out of my mind when I am bimbling, trying to make sense of life, emotions, feelings, and general well being, or not.

Suddenly I thought of the word 'lust', hmmm. that's interesting, don't know where it came from. When I put one foot in front of the other, striding along, I feel the urge coming over me to walk further. I can block out everything that is going on in my life when I walk. Walking gives me a legal high, who needs drugs, not I, ha ha. Walking is my drug of choice. I feel the surge of energy that walking gives me, I feel like I'm on top of the game. I actually lust after walking, the more steps I take, the stronger the lust.

Walking makes me feel in control, my mind and body are in sync, working together in perfect harmony. There is a saying about a healthy body is a healthy mind, my brain sure turns to mush if I sit around all day, but comes alive when I am out in the open air. I definately lust after walking. Anyway, I'm not going to bang on about the benefits of walking, it's just an example of how lust can shape your life.

I looked up the word lust, some interesting definitions. This is what Wikipedia says.
Lust is an intense desire or craving. Lust can take many forms such as the lust for knowledge, the lust for sex or the lust for power. It can take such mundane forms as the lust for food as distinct from the need for food. Lust is a powerful psychological feeling producing intense wanting for an object, or circumstance.

I've had a few lusts in my life, but most of them could be downgraded to passions rather than strong cravings. I definately lust after vegetables at the moment, but like most people I have lusted after chocolate and sweets. This possibly stems from childhood, when we didn't have much money for spending on sugary things, and mum wouldn't let us leave the table without eating our vegetables. I hated vegetables then, and as soon as I left school and started earning money, I made sure I bought sweets and chocolate. Funny how things change, I'm glad I've seen the light and now I've gone full circle. I'm back to eating my greens and having the occasional chocolate bar as a treat.

Hmm, 'intense desire or craving', Learning how to curb cravings is the best thing we can do for ourselves, for they can be our downfall. I don't feel the need to curb my lust for walking and vegetables just yet, as I feel they are doing me no harm. Maybe if I become doddery and fall, or I become so obsessed with vegetables that my diet is lacking in other nutrients, then that would be the time to put a halt to it.

This has got me thinking about how my other desires and cravings have changed throughout my life. When I was a teenager, my passion for keeping up with the fashion was hugely important to me, I craved to fit in with the gang. I spent all my money on fashion magazines, makeup, clothes, hairdo's and going out to all the right places. I craved to be the centre of attention at the Disco's. If I'd have carried on like that my life would have been quite shallow I think, where looks mattered before the substance of a person. I was guilty of chasing after the best looking boys. I was dead chuffed when I pulled Stan, as my friend Rita, far better looking than me, had been after him for ages. Funny how your mindest changes as you gain a wider perspective on life. Now, after years of craving confirmation that I was attractive to the opposite sex, I can now say, that I don't give a stuff any more about what people think of me, I don't have to play act. Spinster of the Parish, that's me, and proud of it.

There comes a time when lusting after something so intensley becomes destructive. One can surely become obsessed which in turn can lead to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Now I'm no psychologist or psychiatrist, but I guess this is not a good place to be. I am able to control my lusts, because I believe there are good lusts and bad lusts. My lust for walking and vegetables are doing me no harm at the moment, indeed they are beneficial to my well being. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my strength of  character will see me through, and I won't need the emotional crutch of chocolate or booze, or fags, or any other body rotting substances. Maybe I'll feel differently when I am on my deathbed, by then it's too late. Just give me loads of chocolate so I can stuff myself into oblivion, ha ha. 

Now tell me about your good lusts, and your bad lusts, c'mon, confession time.
Toodle pip

12 comments:

  1. I lust after peace and quiet. And I turned my life upside down to find it, and it's wonderful, but sometimes I wonder if actually I was just running away from things. The truth is that you take all your baggage with you when you go anywhere so if that is the case... then I'm stuffed! Would that be a good or a bad lust I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lust after walking by the sea, or a river, and not having to go home after, but back to the caravan to a long hot shower and glass of wine and nice homemade diner.
    Pink and white marshmallows, its been months! The odd doughnut, again months!
    A cold stormy winters afternoon, old black and white film.
    A long walk in the snow, not so long ago!
    And a big plate of carrots and celery with a tub of houmous!
    You made me think! Ginny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a little lady on my walking trail ( in the u.s. there are hiking/biking trails but not the footpath system that there is in the u.k.) she is 84 and walks 8 miles a day. She was knocked over by one of the spandex crowd but only suffered a few bruises and is back walking.
    It is not if but when you become doddery as we all will succumb to old age and infirmity eventually but until that day - keep on trekking !
    I saw this gem in the paper the other week:

    "Walking is the diet without denial, the medicine without prescription, the exercise without equipment, the vehicle without the pollution and the therapy without a couch".

    I have things I am passionate about but I cant say I really lust anything. I think lusts put your life out of balance and we should perhaps aim at moderation in most (not all) things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must be a lusty walker then- I find when walking about I spot all sorts of little oddities that amuse me or flowers that I think pretty etc. As they say the devil's in the detail- that's why I so enjoy blogs like yours because they also give me the chance to "see" things in other parts of the country.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, now my dad used to say that people who talked loudly had a lusty voice, easy to see what he meant by that. I grew up in High Wycombe, which is all hills and not much flat, so I still have a sturdy pair of legs, but don't use them nearly enough. No, I don't lust after walking, never did, it was just something you did all the time. Just occasionally I really fancy a wee dram of something special, but it's not really as strong as lusting after it. Other than that, I'm pretty laid back about everything - at my age I've been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Albedo, I used to live in the Chilterns so I can agree with you about the hills! I think High Wycombe has it's fare share, with hills coming both in and out of the town. I used to dread Hammersley lane in the ice :-D

      Delete
  6. Danneke looking in . The only thing I "Lust" for right now is to get my legs back, I have as far as I can reflect never craved or lusted after anyone or thing, Peace is high on my list after a a couple of bad marriages both peace in my life and of the world would be fantastic. Right now I am counting the days to having a hip operation, (17th July will soon be here) mind you I saw the anaethatist last week and just let me say this old girl might be LUSTING for him soon hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have a lust for Life, Ilona. You certainly seem to make the most of every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with heleng above. You certainly seem to enjoy whatever you are doing, which is wonderful. As for me, I do miss walking as rolling in a wheelchair is not the same, but I am on the look out for interesting things to do all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bit strange, waking up with a tin of beans although similar to a charity bath of beans. I find the odd thoughts pop into my head whilst driving. As far as lust goes it was the usual teenager sort. I've always been happy with my lot, usually the best of the best is unattainable so i always save up and buy stuff. People look down their noses but i'm not the one worrying about the repo man. I've had very little finance and i'm debt free now. Keeping up with the Jones's is bad.
    Our biggest lusting these days are yellow reduced stickers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say cycling is my thing. Not long back from a cycle camping trip. The simplicity of it puts things into perspective for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am unable to walk very far because my back hurts but it occurred to me that my happiest moments are when I am on my own pottering in the greenhouse; watching tiny changes and looking forward to the fruits of my labour. Is this lust? It set me wondering about other people's most happy moments. Pat

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.