Tuesday 2 December 2014

Be grateful

Good morning. A quickie before I get busy for the day. I've just been reading the news, Mrs Beckham won an award for her fashion brand, there are photo's of her and her husband David, all over the papers. No this isn't a post about them, it's about jealousy. Why oh why do people feel the need to spout such vitriol about someone they have never met and are never likely to meet. I'm talking about the comments here, which inevitably follow on from the main article. Trolls are everywhere, looking for any opportunity to pull people down, it's sickening, and I imagine most of the nasty comments are born out of pure jealousy. Anyone who is  doing quite well for themselves is seen as an easy target.

I don't know the Beckhams, but what I see is a hard working couple who look after their family, isn't that what everyone should be aspiring to do? So why the nasty personal remarks?

Jealousy is an evil which permeates throughout the whole of society. I want what you've got and if I can't afford to buy it, I will steal it. You have a new flat screen TV so I want one. Your child goes to a better school than mine, so I will send little Billy there. Sam down the road has a new car, so I will get a bigger one. Mary is going to the God knows where islands for her holiday, I want to go. You see what I mean. It's like a disease.

Did you see the recent TV programmes of Sue Perkins travelling up the Mekong River? She met lots of people who have virtually nothing, yet still are happy with their lives. Why can't it be like that everywhere? I do despair. Watch it on the iplayer if you can. Did you also see the pictures of people getting into punch ups on Black Friday in the stores as they scrabbled for the bargains? And now they are trying to sell their big screen TV's on ebay. serves them right for being so greedy if they don't make a profit.

I don't care if people have more than me. Well done to the Beckhams for getting out there and working hard, and giving jobs to lots of people. So what if she doesn't smile very often, would you, if you had cameras pointing at your face every time you stepped out of your front door.

Jealousy can turn people into killers, it can start wars. Sometime in the future it will bring about the demise of the whole planet. I will not allow jealousy into my life and I will not allow it to eat into my soul.

I'll leave you with one thought while I go about my daily business. Toodle pip

Live with an attitude of gratitude.

26 comments:

  1. Well said Ilona, maybe peace could reign if not for jealousy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said as always Ilona. We watched the programme about the Mekong River too, it was very good. We are the Joneses so don't have to keep up with anyone else :) To be honest though I have never ever wanted what others have got and I'm more than happy to follow my own path with my lovely little family.
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Ilona! I agree with you on every level and we did watch Sue Perkins on the Mekong River. It was a wonderful programme and very thought provoking. Most of the people were living so simply, but still getting everything they needed and looking after their family. Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stopped watching the Mekong River as I couldn't bare how animals were treated. No matter how poor you are animals should not be abused. Even if you eat them, you can be kind to them first and not kill them cruelly. If you need to work an animal then you should look after their needs as they are helping you to take care of yours. There is no excuse in ill treatment of animals.

    I don't think the bottom line is jealousy, when it comes to being nasty. Sometimes yes, but others people just have a different take and then express it in a horrible way and some are just nasty because they are. It's so often the female in a couple who has a bad time. I find Victoria Beckham just lovely. I don't like many of the clothes but then I don't like much in the designer world. She is obviously very well regarded in the industry and yet there is just sneering about her lack of ability and people say that she is nothing without her husband, both obviously untrue. She is highly successful and accomplished in her field and has a lovely family too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon. Thank you for your comment. It went into the spam box but as I check this regularly I rescued it just in time.

      I didn't watch the second episode of Mekong River for the reason you mentioned above. The blurb said Sue Perkins, as an animal lover, was upset by what she saw. That's enough for me not to watch something. Episodes one and three were ok. Still got to watch the last episode.

      Delete
    2. PS. I agree with what you say about Victoria Beckham. She works hard and knows how to play the press to her own advantage. She has a good business head on her, and obviously loves her family.

      Delete
  5. Coming home last night after a hectic day,we both said how lucky we were..contented cats around us, a simple meal for dinner, a fire burning to keep us all cosy. All we needed to be happy ,really. When and why did people get so nasty?
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree wholeheartedly! I try to keep the negativity out of my life as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hallo Ilona, have to say I agree with you 100%. And you know what, when you don't envy anyone anything your own life just becomes so much fuller. On top of that, it is damn hard to be negative and scowling all the time. I mean it genuinely is so draining. And as for the Beckhams, I would put money on it that they are also generous givers as well so good luck to them. (I have a sneaking suspiscion that Victoria doesn't smile much because she has teeny-tiny teeth and doesn't like them). But then what would I know. In the end, there will always be someone thinner, richer, prettier, younger than you so to be contented with your lot truly is a blessing. Cheers from France. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment, thanks. Yes, hard work to be negative, much easier to be positive. I agree.

      Delete
  8. Great post, Ilona. Often times, having more means just more problems and challenges, so having less can be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been watching Sue Perkins too. She is great, she really connects with the people she meets and is not at all patronising as some presenters can be. For her laughter is the universal language. It's a cracking series.

    I think you are right regarding the jealousy - once people get a bit of recognition/money/fame there are those who want to pull them down. It's easier to do that than put in the hours and work themselves to achieve something of their own. However I do wish Victoria Beckham would smile, even in studio shots where she is paid she looks miserable. If I was married to the lovely Mr Beckham I'd have a permanent smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said Iiona, we all need to adopt the attitude of gratitude!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I think most of the ills of the whole world come down to jealousy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If it's any consolation to those trolls, Beckham and his 15 year old son were in a car accident:
    http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/11/30/david-beckham-unhurt-but-shaken-after-car-accident/

    In a blink of an eye, ANYONE can lose it all. Thankfully, Beckham is shaken but unharmed.
    There is much turmoil and poverty in the UK. It's only going to get more ugly.
    Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the reminder! I like that! "Live with an attitude of gratitude!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very spot one! Good one Iiona. Many thanks for all the great posts. Love them Cheers Jo

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a marvelous sentiment. Your own contentment shows with every post! JanF

    ReplyDelete
  16. I couldn't agree with you more Ilona, be happy with your lot as they say, like you I certainly am♥ Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Imagine all the energy wasted in living with anger, envy and bitterness and how it could have been channeled into something good and positive.Totally agree with you here.Will try to view the video mentioned-sounds worthwhile.Regards, Destemona

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is what I love about you, Ilona, your positive attitude and the way you find joy in nature and the daily things in life.

    I was sorry to read that Black Friday has made its way to the UK. Here in the U.S. it has gotten so out of control that the stores are now opening on Thanksgiving, our family holiday that is the day before Black Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi from Philly USA, Ilona! To comment on something you wrote earlier: Like you, I don't care if people have more than I do. In fact, I hope they do. I still enjoy simplifying my life by giving away or selling more and more. Less stuff means less work, less cleaning, less busy-ness and more enjoyable time. I'm saving my small profits in a Kitchen Kitty piggy bank (recycled yoghurt container with lid) to eventually get some minor improvements made. Stay well, friendly penpal. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't read the newspaper comments on line. The opportunity to make a comment seems to bring out the worst in people - very mean spirited! But it's not surprising people feel jealous when our whole culture is about money, celebrity and materialism. The Black Friday craziness that was shown on the news made me sick yet again. People are so desperate to get a few quid off a new TV they will trample old ladies and fight other customers. Oh for a simple life!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.