Thursday 4 December 2014

Free sprouts

Hiya and hello. I've got five cute little cubes now. Someone (I'm hopeless with names), suggested they could be made into dice. What a good idea, yes they could. Might make some more, but I'll move onto something else now, got other stuff to do. Things to finish for the stall on Saturday. 

I went to town today. Took three bags of unwanted stuff to two charity shops. Most of it is what I got out of  a skip, which didn't sell on our cat stall on Saturday. 
 I went to get some cash from the machine inside the bank, and it ate my card. My fault, it went out of date on the 30th. I have a new card but hadn't swapped them over. Must get it activated tomorrow. I paid a visit to the Arts Centre to see what was new. A very colourful exhibition by Nick Sharratt, he illustrates childrens books. It was all very interesting, he has amazing talent. Sorry didn't take any pics. Here is a link to his very colouful web site.

My next port of call was the library, I chose some crafting and sewing books. Who should I meet outside with her bicycle was Joanne from the 1939 house. You may remember I wrote about her a while back, she lives down the hill from me. I keep bumping into her just lately. She was struggling to fasten her shopping onto her bike before the ride home. I offered to take her bags back in the car, but she was adamant that she lives the 1939 way, and this is what she does. She's a gutsy lady, it's five miles each way to town and back,. with a couple of hills to struggle up. I do admire her commitment to her chosen lifestyle.

Last place to call at was the pet stall in the market. They often have offers on short dated pet food. Just opposite is a fruit and veg stall and they were packing up for the day. My eagle eye spotted a couple of sprout sticks sticking out of a bag left out for collection, destined for the bin. Nowt wrong with them I thought so I asked for them. What a waste to chuck them, a bonus for me though.

Remember the story I told you about the green phone box full of wires being smashed up outside my friends house? She doesn't live there bye the way. As I walked by this morning I saw workmen had come to replace it. Knowing that my friend was not best pleased where they had put the previous one, overhanging the entrance to her drive, I dashed back home and got in my car and went to tell her that they were about to put the new box in exactly the same place. I gave her a lift so she could maybe get them to stop the job before it was too late. I sat in the car watching her remonstrate with them, her arms waving everywhere. I had to chuckle, she doesn't stand no messing. Didn't do any good though, they were only following orders. She has already had a lot of argybargy with Open Reach the telephone people. Looks like the saga of the box in the wrong place will go on and on, she won't give up until they move it two feet to the right, ha ha.

Anyway, I'm off to bed now, with my library books. Toodle pip

11 comments:

  1. You are definitely the queen of getting stuff cheap! I laughed at your description of your friend trying to persuade the workers. Love the word argybargy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo those sprouts look good to me, we like them stir fried with a bit of bacon, or pancetta and chesnuts if we feel posh at Christmas :)
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sprouts on the stem go for a higher price than the loose ones here! What a bonus find. Jan F

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm sprouts..they look perfect from here!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the dice. The sprouts look good too. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a waste of food. Good job you rescued them, they absolutely fine to me, and small just like I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the dice, compulsory window adornment for all boy racers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The telephone box reminds me of a story from many years ago when we were converting to North Sea gas, and contractors were digging up every road and to every house to provide the new pipes. One road, which had been a dirt track for many years had finally been allocated some tarmac, and the council men arrived to carry out this work. One of the residents who worked for the Gas Board noticed this and told them he happened to know that the gas contractors were digging up this road next week, and it might be a good idea to wait until they'd finished to spread the black-top.
    No chance, it was on their work sheet for that day and was very nicely completed. The gas contractors arrived on schedule the week after and duly dug trenches in the nice new tarmac.

    It really makes me wonder about the mentality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just watched a video on the Gardeners World website on making a christmas wreath using brussel sprouts. It looks lovely but I'm not sure I could cope with seeing edible food items not being eaten!
    http://www.gardenersworld.com/contemporary-christmas-wreath/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't understand why Joanne wouldn't let you take her bags home.
    Did people in 1939 not help out their neighbours?

    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  11. The green box fiasco continues...curious what will happen next.Very nice ornamental dice should do well on Saturday -hope so.Great freebie with the brussel sprouts-right place right time and a good eye by you of course.Kindess extended is always appreciated I'm sure even though not accepted for whatever reason. Your a good neighbour.Regards, Destemona

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.