Sunday 7 July 2013

Camping at Street, a place in Somerset, I think.

Well here I am 250 miles later, the tent is up outside the Youth Hostel in Street. Funny name for a place isn't it, not sure why it's called Street, it's like they couldn't think of anything else. So, I am in Street. 
I stopped off to visit my nephew who lives near Nuneaton in Warwickshire, he has recently moved into a new house. Not new new, but new to him. It needs a bit of work doing to it but he is chuffed to bits with it. 
It's a long drive down here, and it's been roasting hot all day. I made another stop to break the journey up, at Stow on the Wold. It's a pretty Cotswold village, very popular with tourists. Most of them had gone home by the time I got there, so it was nice and quiet. I took a few pictures to give you a flavour of what it's like in this part of the country. 







I arrived at the hostel at about 7.30pm. It's like a wooden shed, it's got a balcony on the upper floor, nice and cool to sit out on. I am in the dining area writing this, I need to be plugged in. Well here is my bed for the next three nights, I think I'm going to be rather hot in there. I've made contact with Kath, and we are meeting up tomorrow. I'm so excited, I feel as if I have known her for ages, I'm sure we are going to get on like a house on fire.   
Oooh, I've just looked out of the window, and I can't see my tent, it's dark out there. I'll go and get myself tucked up in bed, on the camp bed. Camping, more like Glamping, ha ha.
Toodle pip.

13 comments:

  1. Nuneaton? I was born in Coventry!
    I'm glad you have some good weather,and I'm looking forward to your reports to your avid armchair traveler!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always liked Street(The whole of the SW reall:-)in Somerset, spot on there, Iiona:-)

    Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy that you're enjoying this trip so far, and even getting the chance to visit your nephew in his new home.
    Have a good night sleeping in your tent, it looks cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Street was maybe named before streets were invented so it wasn't so strange at the time.
    I passed through Stow last week on my way to Bourton on the Water, its a lovely part of the world.
    Hope you have a good week in Somerset.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are wonderful, so different from where I live now. I could stand a bit of country at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a beautiful area. Happy camping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We live in Somerset, and Street is one of my favourite places, the Cathedral is absolutely beautiful. Hope you enjoy your stay there. The movie Hot Fuzz was filmed in Street.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ilona, Street is recorded in the Domesday Book as Strate and yes it is in Somerset LOL. See you later!x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a wonderful time! I hope the weather is perfect, not too hot, and no rain as long as you are glamping! I have never been to the UK and am always so impressed with the beautiful towns in your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, greetings from Southern California. I just came over from 'Hillside House' blog. I don't think I've visited you before.

    Ah, Stow on the Wold! I was a tourist there three years ago and we stayed at the Red Lion Inn in one of your photos. it was a humorous experience - the hotel bed was too short for my very tall husband so he had to sleep diagonally because it had a footboard so no place to put his feet. Anyway, we enjoyed our visit there. I recall that church very well. Did you see the "hobbit door" on the other side with those trees surrounding it. That's what it looked like to me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are right ilona street is in Somerset its just up the road from me. when you go to bath if you get the chance bath abbey is worth a visit it is in the high street and is free they just ask for a donation and its very beautiful. also Victoria park has some lovely walks on the back of it not very long ones but very scenic with stunning views. hope you have lots of fun down my neck of the woods xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, tents do get hot very quickly once the sun rises, so early to bed and early to rise is the best way. Do you have the option of a mesh front door on your tent rather than the nylon one? That would allow some much-needed fresh air inside. I look forward to reading all about your trip and meetings with cyber friends.
    Incidentally, my 2 youngest sons were born in the George Eliot Hospital in Nuneaton when I lived in Barwell and Earl Shilton, many moons ago. Have you heard the Carillion in the park there? Small world!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it round there. Although my children like the bargains at Street outlet centre. :D

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.