Tuesday 10 October 2017

Open the Cage, Murphy, by Paul O'Grady. Book review

Hello. Paul O'Grady is one of my favourite entertainer/presenters. He comes across as a very sincere guy, no airs and graces, just tells it like it is. Funny, down to earth and to the point. Lily Savage was a hoot, my goodness did she make me laugh. I have always been fascinated by blokes in frocks, and Paul played the part of Lily to perfection.
I have read one of his previous books, this one covers the period of when he was starting out on the club circuit as Lily, through to his mainstream television appearances, and the London Palladium. 
Murphy was his manager/partner, and the story is about the two of them touring the country, then the world, as Paul became more and more famous. There is drama, great sadness, and extreme hilarity in this book, and you can feel the emotions oozing from the pages. He writes as he speaks on television, which feels like he is having a conversation with you. There is lots of name dropping, he must have met most of the famous people in the world. This also give an insight into how the entertainment business works. Even entertainers have their idols.

I must say Paul has worked extremely hard throughout his life, and hasn't been afraid to tackle any opportunities which came his way. Some great photographs in the book, it's good to put faces to names.

If you want an interesting read about one man's journey to the top of the entertainment world then this is the book for you. It's funny and it's sad, and a great read.

Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for that Ilona, I too am a fan. I have his first three books but didn't know about this one and it was published in 2015 ! I can fully recommend his first three leading up to this one. It seems he has written one about his life in the country too. I shall look out for both of those now. Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The latest one about his life in the country is fairly new, not in our library yet. I shall look out for it. Picture on the front, of him in his wellies with his dogs.

      Delete
  2. I will look out for this book as I think Paul O'Grady is marvellous. I was never into drag artists, but I do remember really laughing at Lily Savage. In my eyes what he does for animals is truly amazing and this is why I like and admire him so much. He comes across as so sincere and kind hearted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love his dry humour as Lily Savage,he was so funny but ive really warmed to him more since ive known about his love and devotion to animals.Anyone who loves our little furry friends,is fine by me!Debi,xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore Paul O'Grady, a really kind and sweet man. I've read the earlier autobiographies and he certainly has 'rolled his sleeves up' in previous careers. He worked in social care and got into some very unpleasant situations but managed to overcome the problems. I will definitely put this on my list for 'winter reading' material. Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like Paul O'Grady.I enjoy his TV programmes very much.The Salvation Army one and of course Battersea dogs home.He is such a caring,fun man.My top dog even wears a Paul O'Grady red leather studded bow tie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is a wonderful person who wears his heart on his sleeve. He once told a story on the radio about his owl barn, I was crying with laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review Ilona. That sounds like a really interesting read. I too loved 'Lily Savage' and thoroughly enjoy listening to Paul on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is very kind to animals too and raises their profile. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  9. So long ago did we pay to see Lily Savage at a theatre here. She was a good performer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His first trip to Australia is covered in this book.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.