Tuesday 10 December 2019

Saving money on food shopping

What a beautiful sky to wake up to this morning. View from my back garden. Soon went though, replaced by greyness and rain. It's very windy now. 
Yellow sticker fans will be pleased to know I did quite well last night. I arrived just before 7pm. Items had been marked down twice, not cheap enough for me, so I hung around for the third and last markdown which happened just after 8pm. Worth the wait. There wasn't many people in the store so no scramble, plenty for all. When the shoppers had had their pick the assistant came out and started listing what was left, a charity comes and picks it up at 9pm. 
My total shop came to £24, I had other things as well, which are never or very rarely marked down. Baked beans, spaghetti hoops, soya drink, cartons of fruit juice, eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese, quiche, 
A run down of the reductions, mostly 75% off. Rice noodles 31p. Butter scones, 25p. Blueberries 27p. Mushrooms 24p. seeded rolls 16p. Baby sprouts 25p. Broccoli florets 33p. Spring onions 14p. Little Gem lettuce 21p. Tzatziki 30p. Cherries £1. Radishes 16p. Salad leaves 33p. Doughnuts 40p. Potatoes 45p. Chopped veg soup mix 40p. Spinach 18p. Veg selection 38p. That's the fridge full. I gave away two shopping bags to surprised people who accepted them with a smile. 
I see we are getting another Aldi, right next door to Tesco. That will hot the competition up and may see prices dropping . It's going to be massive as they have taken over the old Toys R Us store which went bust. I hope they are not closing the smaller store, as it's in a convenient place when I have to go to town. 
Looking like the wet and windy weather is set for the day. I'll pop to the mobile library after lunch and say hello to Stan. Good news this morning, my car passed the MOT test. I had found another car which I was considering, in case it failed, but it didn't so I will keep it. The garage man said the same as the RAC man. it's a good car, keep it. Mind you I did rather like the look of the other car, a later model of the Focus, just the spec I want, petrol, manual gear change, low mileage. Oh well, I'll have to let that one go and hope I find a similar one in a years time. I am a Ford girl through and through.
Cheerio for now. ilona


11 comments:

  1. Well done! I love reading about your yellow sticker shops. My favorite topic of your blog. Misty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Una foto preciosa. Y felicidades por la compra, y por lo del auto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias. Me complace cuando puedo comprar algunas gangas, y ahora mi coche está en forma y saludable por otro año.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful picture of that sky.
    Being a yellow sticker addict myself I love seeing what you find, I am off on the hunt later tonight, it is wild and stormy I am hoping it will deter others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a stunning photo, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are your thoughts on electric cars, Ilona? Something you would consider in the future for yourself, or total waste of time?

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really thought about them, don't know much about them. Someone came to visit a neighbour here in the village a few weeks ago, in a Tesla, they drove here from Germany. Very strange to see an empty space where the engine normally is, no dashboard, no gears, just a computer screen. I believe there aren't a lot of charging points yet.

      Delete
    2. I watched a tv programme a few months ago with,I think it was Angela Rippon and she was having a lot of problems with exactly that Ilona - not enough charging points x

      Delete
  6. You did well there with your shop Ilona- I get quite a thrill when I see all your bargains as I do when I get some myself.Your sky looks magical x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isnt it great when your car passes the MOT test.Always such a relief!You have done well with your yellow sticker shopping and thats great news that an Aldi will be next door.It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference to Tesco prices.Although where I live,there are 2 Aldi and 2 Lidls all within a mile of Tesco and if anything I think that Tesco prices have gone up!.When I went to the book swap yesterday at the co op I had timed it just right for their yellow stickers.This was about 3.30.I got 6 massive baguettes reduced from 95p to 24p that were each cut in to 4 and froze.A pizza from the deli counter 3.99 to 99p.Also some bags of doughnuts down to 20p which I also froze.So I was well pleased with that..Well its a dark,grey damp day in Leicester so it looks like I am going to see if I can sort out a few more things for the animal charity shop to drop off this week.Im also going to try decorating my outside tree with Christmas baubles because I rescued a bag full that the guy 2 doors down was getting rid of.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always on the lookout for yellow labels on produce, quite often when I arrive back in town from a walk just before the shops close.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.