Friday 6 December 2019

Up the Brewers.

So what did I do when I was in Burton. For a start, I went to a football match, an invitation from the Director, Ben Robinson, to join him and his guests in the Directors box. The hospitality was first class, drinks, waitress service and a nice three course meal. The club mascots paid us a visit.  Notice I have a yellow and black brooch, Burton Albion's colours, which I made the night before. 
I couldn't pin Ben down for a photo this time, but here is one taken three years ago when I was there.

Profiteroles with cream and chocolate sauce, lush.

There was a programme on every chair. A nice souvenir for me.

I haven't been in a box before at a football match, so didn't know what to expect. I didn't think I would need my coat, so I left it in the car. When Ben explained that we would probably be going out onto the terraces to watch the match, I had to go and fetch my coat. Luckily I had a big jacket with a hood, which kept the cold out.

Our seats were just above the tunnel where the players come out onto the pitch. There was quite a lot of press there, with their expensive cameras and long lenses. The match was relayed onto the big screen inside the box, so I could have watched it there, but I wanted to experience the atmosphere in the stadium. The Southend boss was just below us, and he shouted his instructions all the way through the match. I don't know how he kept it up, he must have been hoarse after that.




The first half was a little bit slow, but the pace soon quickened in the second half when the Brewers played flat out to even up that score. At half time we went back into the box where the tables had been cleared of the meal debris, and re-laid for coffee and biscuits.

Back out onto the pitch and some fancy footwork and a lot of hard slog, paid off......

They managed a goal to even it up, and that's how the score ended.

It was an enjoyable experience, good to see the crowds cheering for their teams. There is a dedicated and loyal following for Burton Albion Football Club, and the first class facilities at the stadium makes it a family friendly place to go.

I was in the town centre on Thursday and spotted the club's stand selling memorabilia. People like to buy their gifts for Christmas at this time of the year. A good photo opportunity, whip the camera out.

I can't see me becoming a real footie fan, but it was a great experience, and I met some nice people. Here's the link to their website.

More pics of my Burton visit tomorrow. Toodle pip.  ilona

16 comments:

  1. What an exciting event. I love to watch football but my hubby does not like sports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a match where there are a lot of goals, ha ha. More exciting as they do battle. My mum was an avid Derby County fan, went off on the bus almost every week. Brian Clough was her hero.

      Delete
    2. Gosh I remember Brian Clough, what a character!

      Delete
  2. Wow,you did really well with going in one of the boxes!!I remember you putting that photo on before....was that really 3 years ago!!.It looks like you had fun and its great to go to something out of the norm.Looking forward to seeing the rest of your photos!,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Directors box no less. Can't get better than that. An invitation from the top man :o)

      Delete
  3. Fab! A different sort of day for you too. Love your observations, you obviously absorb all this like a sponge and then you share it. Thanks so much - most interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watch, I listen, I learn, and I ask questions.

      Delete
  4. Can't believe they didn't beat Southend, worst team in the league! I think they've got Lincoln City next - up the Imps!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got the full fixture list, Lincoln today, (spose I could have gone to that one, but I am busy), Wycombe next Saturday, then Rochdale. Back to Lincoln in March, maybe I'll be free then.

      Delete
  5. Great that you enjoyed the atmosphere at the match even if you're not an ardent fan of the beautiful game....I don't watch but my son is a real fan.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the atmosphere, the singing, the fans dedication to their team, and the skill of the players. I don't feel the need to follow one team in particular, but don't mind watching a game now and again.

      Delete
  6. Looks like you've had a wonderful time Ilona x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great fun! My sis got me ticket for Manchester Utd match a few years ago at Old Trafford. We had fab seats in the stand, beside where Alex Ferguson and the players were sitting. Noise was deafening as stadium was packed but abs great atmosphere. Unforgettable experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm from the Midlands and remember visiting Burton as a child. There was a lovely river walk with big willow trees as I recall. In those days my Dad used to take us out for "a run in the car" on Sundays, there was less traffic then and nowhere was open on a Sunday so you could park up and just explore a local town. We didn't mind that the shops were closed, unlike nowadays when everything is about "experiences" and spending money. Enjoyed your report Ilona, I miss my Midlands roots.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.