Tuesday 8 August 2017

I've got no idea what I'm talking about ;-)

Good morning. Raining, not good, I have to take Bailey poodle for a walk , will need the brolly. Dogs still have to poo, even in awful weather.

A question popped up yesterday.....

Brilliant! Where do you get your ideas? Karen

Thank you Karen. Lots of answers to this one. I let my mind wander, I daydream, I make time to think. Sometimes there is a fog in there, then suddenly I see a clear path. I get mental blockages when nothing happens, then bingo, a light shines and an idea pops up. 

I am inspired by other creative minds. I read a lot of books on art, crafts, interesting people, creative people. At the moment I am reading Mary Quant. I want to know what inspires other people, trying to work out what is going on in their heads. I love people who don't go with the flow but strike out on their own. People who make statements, either verbally, or with their appearance. I like flamboyant men, I like cross dressers, I like people who challenge, who push the boundaries. 

I watch a lot of yoootooob arts and crafts videos. The possibilities of what might happen when working with different materials. Some techniques inspire me to have a go, not to copy exactly but to adapt the technique with my own ideas. I watch how to needle felt a picture so I try it. I search for folk art and make my own picture. I watch artists paint then try and work out how I can do something similar with fabric. I am always looking for ideas to stimulate my creative side. 

I have never been a good team player, I think having to fit in with others stifles creativity. Seeking approval from those you work with means limiting yourself to their ideas when you should be thinking of your own. I had a spell of working as a fundraiser for a national charity, I had ideas which I thought would bring in more revenue. These were slapped down and I was told more or less to just do the job I was paid for. I lost interest because I was not allowed to think for myself, so I left. 

Lorry driving suited me, even though I had to follow instructions from the office, where to pick up loads, where to deliver them. The bit in between was my responsibility. Once I was out on the road it was up to me to decide which route I was going to take based on what I had learnt about traffic flow, peak times, and avoiding congestion. On a lot of jobs I was responsible for how the vehicle was loaded, there was no one to show me how to do it. I picked it up by watching others, learning how the equipment worked, and using my common sense. 

I wanted to support other female HGV drivers so I started a Lady Truckers Club. It grew over seven years to 350 members. I didn't wait for someone else to do it, I took the initiative because that's what I wanted to do. I organised events, Truck Shows and parties, I went to the Women of the Year Luncheon at the Savoy Hotel three times, and I met royalty. I did all the publicity, and when it became too big and was taking all my time up, I handed it over to a committee. 

I wanted to meet people so I started an Introduction Agency/Singles Club. Advertised it in the local newspaper, made a programme of events, and published a monthly newsletter. It was successful, people found partners, some got married, and a lot of people had a social life and made friends. On both of these occasions I spotted a gap and filled it. 

I know it's an old cliche, think outside the box, but if you want to achieve anything that's what you have to do. Some people are born with creativity, but I also believe you can learn it. In fact you can learn anything if you are determined and focused. Ideas are all around you, you just have to open your eyes. People get used to their comfort zone and will not step outside the box, that's fine if they are happy where they are. There have been times when I have not been happy with the way my life has been going, what do I do, I fix it. I go in another direction. 

Always challenge the norm. Simple question, what do you do if you have lost several socks, and don't have a matching pair? Simple solution, wear odd socks. Who said you have to have matching socks anyway? This question came up on a forum.....my bread is too big for the toaster, what do I do about the bit that sticks out the top? You can guess that most answered with, cut it off, or buy a smaller loaf, or buy a new toaster. But what if you like that particular type of bread. My answer. Insert bread, set the timer to half the time it normally takes. Bread pops up, insert it back in with the white edge at the bottom to finish it off.  

Everyone has some ideas, it's what you do with them that count. If you want to do something try it, even though you might not be confident with the outcome. If you don't try you will never know. The only thing that will hold you back are the limitations you put on yourself. One more thing I will say, my brain works better in the morning, when it comes to late afternoon it's slowing down. I work best in the morning. Have you identified when your best time is?  

Still raining, I've done the dog walk, now it's lunch time, then I'll go and see Stan at the library van. Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon. 
Toodle pip

31 comments:

  1. You've always been my go to inspiration Ilona. When I'm feeling lacklustre your energy land creativity lifts me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think that some people are born with more creativity than others, as some people hate maths and like languages or vice versa; I believe that creative people have that part of their brain switched to 'on' and some - like me - have a dimmer light on permanently. I've always been better in the mornings, more energy and zest and by tea time am slowing down - I always loathed 'late' shifts as I was completely worn out by the end of the shift at 9pm. Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your post today Ilona-you are such a knowledgeable,caring and spiritual person I think-and what you said brought tears to my eyes.I'm a morning person,I have to do most of the important stuff then because in the afternoons my energy is spent and I'm flat out and then in the evenings I'm up again-I'm lie a wind up toy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting post - wonderful perspective!! I really think you have a wonderful outlook on life in general and it's uplifting to read your blog and gain inspiration - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting post Ilona, I am very much like you I don't follow the herd I love doing different things and will have s go at most things, tomorrow I am starting a 4 week course on Korean patchwork no idea what we will be doing just st know I will need my magic box of equipment, should be an interesting time, if I don't like it I shall finish the course but won't do anymore. I like my own company but also enjoy other people but not big groups. Enjoy whatever makes you happy and don't hurt anyone along the way.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it that you publish your full photo so people could see you look well and slim, meaning your way of life is a good, adequate one. I think all those writing on food, frugality, creativity should do the same and show us who's behind it.It will give their blog more value and authenticity. As the saying goes " a picture is worth a thousand words".

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post Ilona. For years I have put limitations on myself. That was such a waste. I am now more like you and have a go at doing things. When I am being creative I am happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is why I am so looking forward to retiring in a few weeks, more time to think, more time to dream, and just open my mouth and let the wind blow my tongue around. All my life I have done what was expected, and actually in many ways I still do, and am happy to do, but as I get older I find more creative threads to follow, and mountains to climb. Life is what you make of it, life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great post Ilona, thank you.
    You are a daily inspiration.
    Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you on all this. The trouble with Youtube is that I want to try it all. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you're brilliant, you have what's missing in so many walks of life these days.....COMMON SENSE. I have friends that waste money left right and centre and moan they can't afford to retire but I have little sympathy as they want their cake and eat it, but I don't preach to them! You live your life, your way and it works for you. You're fit, frugal, inventive, creative and a thoroughly nice human being!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for being so unique, for sharing your thoughts, and for the smiles those things bring me. Rock on, fantastic lady! Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well thank you answering my question so well. I think the difference between you and me is that you believe in yourself and trust yourself, therefore it doesn't faze you too much when things go wrong. I sometimes struggle with self-belief, and so I tend to play it safe. I use you as inspiration too, like others have said. Thank you so much, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad your brain works like mine. I'd say the main difference between us is that I do not have an artistic flair for making things, I can however display things to great effect if someone else has done the making. It's just common sense, life experience and a willingness to give anything a go that makes life interesting, and always pushing forward and trying new things, something you are absolutely brilliant at. And yes I've done the toast thing for years now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My best time is early in the morning when ive read your blog!!,You give me the kick up the backside i need to make as much as i can out of the day ahead.Although i do have alot of Family commitments,i am now making time to do things i want to do aswell.Reading your blog has really changed my life around!Debi,Leic,x

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's weird that you talk about being creative (or not) - I'm not - well not naturally anyway. I actually wrote a blog post on this very thing this afternoon after a young friend of my sons came over with his drawing of his ideas for re-doing my balcony. It was so creative I loved it. And like Kate said, I can't wait to retire in order to have more time to try out all these things. Some may not interest me, some I won't be good at .... but having the time to give it a shot will be just heavenly. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful perspective and attitude. Always enjoy reading here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. An interesting post Ilona, I agree with most of it. A friend of ours paints. Over the years he has improved and learnt more and knows about techniques. However, he only paints what he can see, people, still life etc. Interested in my work, he asked me where my inspiration came from. For a moment I couldn't think, and then I said it was from nature, things around me, and to be honest, it just comes. My mother was very artistic and creative, producing original works due to, well, just ideas that came to her. I too am the same, sometimes things just come to me, ideas from nowhere. Other times I just look at something, fabric, paper, driftwood, a shell, piece of wood, and it just comes to me. I don't think that people can learn to be creative, I think that they are born that way. Someone earlier mentioned some people having an ability in some areas and not in others. Being creative and inspired is a gift not given to all. However, people can learn creative techniques from others and thus produce things which are artistic though not original or inspired from their own imagination. On a simple note, some people see an offcut of wood to throw away, some of us, yourself included, look at the odd shape and see of potential. Others then remark that they would never dream of that.
    Like you, I have no wish to go with the flow. I love the creativity of Zandra R and Vivienne Westwood, and anyone who dares to be different. We are individuals not part of a group who need to conform. I also agree that the only limitations we have are ones we put on ourselves. Dare to be different, dare to dream, and dare to try. You may only do it in a small way, but at least you had a go. Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment, Jean, thank you. Dare to be different, is a similar saying to one Steve Jobs used a lot. In his advertising campaigns he said Think Different.

      Delete
  19. I hear wat your saying
    Mornings for me too esp for my walk
    The doggy goes in the afternoon for his slow walk getting older he is at 14 :) :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very interesting post. People with families/responsibilities however can't just change life's direction mid-stream. We have to do the best we can within our circumstances.
    I couldn't help notice your comment about 'putting the toast into the toaster twice !' not very frugal for you Ilona ! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I don't get your meaning with the toaster thing. How can it not be frugal if you alter the timer to do half the time one way, turn it upside down and finish toasting it the second time, instead of all in one go. Two halves make a whole.

      I assume people make the decision in the first place to take on the responsibility of marriage and children, and everything that goes with it. There will be compromises to be made, and people should think very carefully if that is the path they wish to go down. The trouble is it's easy to drift into situations. I believe that changes can be made if someone really wants to, but the easy option is to do nothing.

      Delete
  21. I like hearing about your trucking days, Ilona. I've never liked being told what to do. When I was a window dresser it was at one time a highly creative job, once trained I was left to get on with it, I was always thrilled if management liked my work and it helped to sell the products in the store. When the store was taken over by shareholders and was no longer a family concern everything changed. We had to work to plans, use a lot of posters rather than props and then they wanted us out on the shop floor hefting fixtures around and doing almost anything other than creating exciting windows. I got so depressed and felt very trapped, it's not easy to get out of retail as people pigeon hole you. Salvation came when I realised I could change my life and manage on a limited income. I have time now to be creative in other ways with my hobbies. I think everyone is creative in their own way - being a gardener for e.g. Is creative, cooking too, it's just finding what you enjoy doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate. I'm glad that you decided to make changes to take you to a better place. I could have been in the situation you were in, my dad wanted me to be a window dresser. I didn't have any qualifications so I ended up on the counters in Woolys.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ilona, I started as a counter assistant as well, I got lucky as the store had a training scheme. One of the dressers dropped out and I applied and got the job! I loved it so much and I do miss it, but life changes and moves on doesn't it. Retail has changed so much now, I feel sorry for young Mums and older ladies who are in shops, as Christmas has become a nightmare, most only get Xmas Day off and then have to go to bed early to be in at the crack of dawn for the sales. A lot of customers used to tell us they thought it was ridiculous and would have been quite happy to wait until after Boxing Day etc.

      Delete
  22. There used to be a large store in the town centre where I worked years ago and they had wonderful window displays-I used to be mesmorised by them it all looked like a glamorous stage set.It must have been a great career at it's best Kate,I would have have loved to have been creative enough to have done it.I did a tiny bit on glass shelves as a teenager when I worked on a cosmetics counter for a couple of years x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely job, Flis. I was lucky as the store I worked for had a training scheme.

      Delete
  23. great post! i've found that getting outside and enjoying the fresh air (even in a big city), helps me towards a clearer mind and getting rid of the fug of everyday-life. 10 minutes of gardening always makes me feel more awake than sitting staring at the goggle-box.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wearing socks that don't match is a thing now. One company sells mismatching socks, made for that purpose. That is what I do with too-tall bread.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post - I envy you your talents and bravery!
    I've just been looking at a website about Beryl Cook, and one of the galleries had pictures if some of her other types of work, other than her paintings, Some of the pieces reminded me of your work, there was some embroidery in there and painted boxes..... really nice website. If this link works, it's to the "others" gallery, if anyone's interested :)
    http://www.ourberylcook.com/other-artwork-by-beryl/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just brilliant - just what I needed to read. I always used to think I can't do anything unless I have money for it all. Can't go for this that or the other cos it costs so much but there's loads to do just by thinking about it a bit more - thanks Meanqueen.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.