Thursday 4 April 2013

I've been out, but where to?

Good evening. I've had a day out today. Really enjoyed it, but boy was it cold. I was well wrapped up for walking, but battling across big wide open fields with a 50mph wind full in your face, doesn't half make the skin red and sore. Sunburn, no, I've got windburn, ha ha. Think I need to get me a balaclava. There's lots of pics but I haven't sorted them yet, also a little video. Here's a little taster, can you guess where I am? A clue. I have climbed 199 steps to the top of the tallest Anglican church tower in the United Kingdom. More pics tomorrow.
While driving to this place this morning I was listening to Womans Hour on Radio 4. My ears pricked up when I heard my name mentioned. Immediately I knew who they were talking about. Ilona Royce has been featured on the blog http://advancedstyle.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Ilona I know some of you follow the blog Advanced Style, and I sometimes call in there on my blog hopping rounds.

They interviewed the blogger, Ari Seth Cohen, he photographs stylish older women who he meets on the streets of New York. He has a massive following, and his ladies, and sometimes gents, are lovely. Ilona is 92 and lives on the third floor of an apartment block. She likes to design and make her own clothes, often using second hand materials.

If any followers of Advanced Style who want to listen to the interview on Womans Hour today, click the link, and move the slider across to 18mins 56secs. Both Ari and Ilona are featured on it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rlpth/Womans_Hour_Tanika_Gupta_Older_womens_style_Cook_the_perfect_kofta/

I'll catch up with you tomorrow. Toodle pip

13 comments:

  1. I thought Liverpool had the tallest church tower in the UK, but I don't recognise the picture as Liverpool. I am going to Liverpool cathedral's tower tomorrow on a Special Secret Mission. I'll let you know tomorrow what it is....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was asked to take my son's girlfried to the cathedral and take her up the tower and then leave, the he proposed to her - and she said YES! and a lovey family lunch to celebrate followed. A lovely day :-)

      Delete
  2. I would hazard a guess at St. James Louth Ilona. Lovely little place. :)

    Sue R

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know where you went and wait with baited breath for you to tell us, but i too heard Woman's Hour when I was driving in the car yesterday morning. I had a list of about 14 jobs I had saved up and was driving around essex sorting them all out in one fail swoop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could it have been Lincoln Cathedral?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ilona
    I expect you've seen that I follow the posts of these ladies and Ilona is my favourite, what a lady and so colourful. There are some clips of her singing on utube, shes marvellous for her age.
    Shall be listening to that bbc clip late while I am sewing. thanks.
    Briony
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bri, yes I usually go from your blog over to Advanced Style. I love how creative the ladies are.

      Delete
  6. Hi Ilona

    Just to let you know that Poundstretcher (5 April) have 1kg of Whitworth's granulated sugar reduced to .69 pence. I live in Lincolnshire. If anyone is passing Poudstretcher anywhere in the country, it may be worth popping in.

    Regards Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie. Thank you. I have just bought some from B & M, for 89p. Ugger, I wish I knew about PS earlier. You win some you lose some.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ilona

      89p for empty calories that rots your teeth, rubbish for the adrenal glands, ruins your blood sugar regulating system, gives you a high then a crashing low. Enjoy!

      (there are more healthy sweeteners available)















      Delete
  7. I also think Louth. Lovely little market town in the Lincolnshire Wolds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard that talk on Womans' Hour and when I heard the name Ilona mentioned, I immediately thought of you. It was a very interesting and enlightening article, highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Sals View and Sue R, it is Louth. I'm just uploading the photo's now. Working two computers at the same time, hows that for multi tasking, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.