Friday 26 September 2014

Going the wrong way

Hello, I'm going in the wrong direction, have you ever thought that? You start something and part way through it think hang on a minute, this is not right. Is it best to blunder on in the hope that it might eventually turn out ok, or is it best to backtrack, undo what you have already done, and make a fresh start? When you think about it, everything you do has a beginning, a middle, and an end. From a task that takes an hour or two, right up to the biggest task you will ever face, life itself. 
I try and break things down into segments, try and put some thoughts into the task before I start, then reassess the situation at regular intervals to check that I am going in the right direction. Ok, so impulse comes into it at some point, do something rash and it can all come crashing down, or it can be the best thing you have ever done. Life would be pretty boring if we didn't take chances.
Take life for example, do we constantly monitor our every action every step of the way, no we don't. We cruise, float, stumble, drift, march, wobble, and on occasions bulldoze, our way through it. We don't always get it right, so what do we do, carry on regardless and keep on making the same mistakes, or do we say oh fiddlesticks, I got that wrong, I had better change it or I am heading for disaster. Each and every one of us has the power to change direction, and as I am writing this I can go in whichever direction I choose, I like that. 
I woke up this morning and took ten minutes to sit up in bed and gather my thoughts. I made a start on the new artwork last night, an idea came and I ran with it. This morning, after a good nights sleep I wasn't feeling so enthusiastic, there was something lacking, I was not getting the buzz. What could I add to it, or change, to make it better? 
 For me, creativity is all about vision, when I look at it what do I see? What is it telling me? Often I have a complete blockage and it tells me nowt. I can study something for a month or more, and see nothing. Then without warning a light comes on and it suddenly dawns on me what to do next. Even then I may not have the complete answer, but at least I have a starting point. 
This is not working for me. First of all I saw blocks of colour on a vertical structure. Maybe separated by bright coloured strips of fabric, and dotted in sparkly beads and sequins. Like a mosaic. Maybe that would work, but not at this moment in time.  

When something doesn't look right try seeing it from a different angle, turn things around to view it from all sides. Now this is telling me something. I see a landscape with trees. The blocks have to go.

Now I feel better about it, knowing that I can change my mind at any point. Taking a wrong turn is not the end, it can mean a new beginning. That's what I like, new beginnings, new enthusiasm, and fresh starts.

Got to go, too much to do and so little time, some distractions today.
Toodle pip.

13 comments:

  1. Hah! Glad you are going to change it, that's what I see too!! Must have a go myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was nodding as I read this, I know just what you mean. I ponder on stuff so long sometimes it drives me mad, what colour, what material to use etc.
    Sometimes I think its a sort of fear of getting it wrong but once I get started it all flows and usually turns out okay.
    This looks so interesting and very ingenious of you to think of , I can see great things happening here.
    Hugs
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree totally Ilona. It looks much better turned to landscape. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like new beginnings and fresh starts too. It stops life from getting boring...it's looking good MQ, can't wait to see what happens with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ilona, This looks like it could be used for a window, like a shade that expands to open from the side and then folded back when not needed. A landscape would give you a different view through the window. I have done rag rugs on a loom before but this idea is very creative to do the weaving on a permanent frame. If you find earings or pins to make birds and butterflies to decorate the landscape it would be interesting add to the collection as you find them.
    Anne in Pennsylvania

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thing is that art has its own life, and once you embark you discover things you didn't know before you started! happens to me all the time, too, part of the journey! good for you for going with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep it's suggesting trees to me as well! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to the day you decide to take up knitting, Ilona. Creatively speaking, it's a wilder ride than you may think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know, but I won't be knitting cardy's and jumpers, ha ha.

      Delete
  9. From Margie in Toronto - it reminds me of a large scale piece of artwork I saw at the Art Gallery recently - It was a continuous row of threads & beads and p close it was just a pretty hanging but when you stood back a good 20 feet, all of a sudden a beautiful landscape emerged - I could see something like that in your frame. Such an interesting insight into how the creative process works for you Ilona - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would look better if you couldn't see the cords amongst the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't see any cords when it is finished.

      Delete
  11. I'm all for stepping back and letting the creative juices mull over it for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.