Tuesday 9 February 2021

Winter wonderland

Hello. After staying in all day yesterday, I was ready for going out today. It is nice to walk the same route in different seasons, so off I went down the track across the fields. 
I knew there would be mud, ice, and snow to contend with so I got an old pair of boots out. I used to wear them a lot when I first started walking, before I could afford a proper pair of walking boots. They are very heavy, thick soles, and waterproof. I headed off towards the bench. It was a slow trudge, the sun was shining, and I felt good. The left boot felt a little tight, and my foot was beginning feel sore where it was rubbing my bunion. 
I got to the bench and sat for a while. I was well wrapped up, it was pleasant to sit and watch the clouds. They turned from fluffy white to dark grey. The blue sky was gone and I could see a storm approaching. I decided then that I would turn round and go back. My foot was sore. Part of the walk goes along a road, and some of them haven't been gritted. There was a chance that there would be compacted ice so I didn't want to risk falling over. It was slow progress walking along the tracks, it would have taken me a lot longer to complete the full route. It made sense to go back. 
The boots I will have to give away. Perhaps someone who doesn't have bunions could make use of them. Luckily the storm blew over and it didn't snow until after I arrived back home. I took a few photo's. Even a winter wonderland is beautiful. 
This tree is quite some distance away so I zoomed in. I think the clouds behind it make the perfect frame. 



I like the way the sideways blowing snow has stuck to the trunks. 

This is my favourite. The stark skeletal trees against the atmospheric sky. I wonder how David Hockney would paint this. 

Four quite difficult miles walked. As soon as I got home I prepped a pan of stew, adding a packet of macaroni cheese. It was lovely. 

Thanks for popping in. We'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.   ilona

19 comments:

  1. They are beautiful photos Ilona. I don't blame you for not going further afield this frozen ground can be so slippy. My daughter is only a youngster and slipped in the last snow we had a few weeks ago and dislocated her knee. Now she is facing weeks of treatment. It has put me off going out I don't want to fall at 60!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch, I bet that was painful. It can easily happen.

      Delete
  2. I had a bad fall recently on some black ice so I ventured out very gingerly today. Some paths were okay but elsewhere the compacted snow was very slippy. Hope your foot is not too sore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My foot has recovered. I walk around the house wearing three pairs of socks. Very comfy.

      Delete
  3. You take such wonderful photos you are very talented in lots of things
    Glad you share them with us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't know about that, (blushing). I am rubbish at housework.

      Delete
  4. Stunning images today. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have bunions too! Are you thinking of having surgery on yours? My doctor advised against it for me as he said he knew so many patients who were not happy with the results.
    Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I won't be having surgery. I only wear boots and trainers that fit me. I don't have any pain normally. I thought I would try the clumpy boots, but my bunions must have grown since I last had them on. I will stick to the properly fitted walking boots.

      Delete
  6. Still nothing to beat the winter of 1962-63 - when I lived on a farm in West Sussex. Started snowing in Boxing Day, still snow on the ground first week of March 1963, temperature didn't get above freezing for most of February, neighbours with oil central heating had the oil freeze in the outside tanks - we were OK with coal and wood fires for heating and cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had snow plastered to the tree trunks just like that the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos, Ilona. You've had a lot more snow than we have - I'm jealous! I would love to wake up to a heavy snowfall. We've had some and for a while it made everything look pretty, but it was gone in a day, which was disappointing. I don't like ice, though - I can't understand how some people seem to march down the road no matter how icey it is, and not fall over! Whereas I only have to take one tiny, careful step outside and I'm on my bum! Cold here tonight, and I have to keep the flipin' window open until the cat comes in, so I hope he makes an appearance soon! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw quite a few people out in the village walking their dogs. As you say, they were marching on and I was being careful taking small steps, with my walking pole.

      Delete
  9. A cobbler can stretch the boots so the bunion does not get squeezed and rubbed. Or, maybe there is a video to tell how to do it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your tip, but it isn't worth the cost or the bother. I bought them ages ago from a charity shop. They were cheap, I have had enough use out of them.

      Delete
  10. No snow here in Gloucestershire so thats quite nice as Im a bit nervous of it like some of the other commenters. Your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, that last photograph is great, and all the rest, but I love the last one best and I think Hockney would love to paint it, even I would.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos Ilona!.The snow is lovely to look at but just so scary to walk in.I am terrified of falling since I have got older.yet as a child would run about in it,sliding and laughing,making snowballs.Fingers so cold,wet gloves and socks,cold face without a care in the world!.I did manage to get a walk in yesterday,but joined it in with visiting my Mam to check she was ok.Only about a mile but the fresh air was great.It must have been a painful walk for you with your boots rubbing,but if you can pass them on Im sure someone could make good use of them.I know I would be lost without mine.£1 from the charity shop but they have done some miles and still in great condition!xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning scenery Ilona! I love the photo of the lone tree in front of the bench! :)

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.