Friday 24 March 2023

The Crooked Spire at Chesterfield.

Here we go then, the final clue. The Parish of St Mary and All Saints. Did you guess right. I passed  through Chesterfield when I did a long walk a few years ago, but didn't have time to stop then. 
It was a sunny day, with the odd shower now and again. Strange weather when the rain comes, like turning on a tap. 


The market sold a bit of everything. Some stalls were selling second hand, vintage and antique goods, what you might call a flea market. 


The church was gorgeous. I spoke with the lady who was running the shop. I couldn't resist buying soap, they had the same sort that I bought from Lincoln Cathedral. My house smells lovely now. There is soap in every room. 



It was very peaceful. 


Here is a ten minute video. If anybody is in Chesterfield go and have a look inside. Or even if you are passing through, it's worth making a stop. 
I went to the Tourist Information to get a map so I could take a walk along the canal. They gave me two maps, one of the town centre and the other of the canal. The lady explained how to get to the start of it. That lock is permanently closed. The canal this side of it is overgrown and un navigable. There is a massive new housing estate going up on one side of the canal. 

And here we are at the next lock. Tapton Lock has a cafe. Naughty me had a drink of orange juice and a piece of chocolate brownie. Well I am on holiday. 😁

There is some information on Chesterfield and the crooked spire on this web site. 
And now it's the weekend, don't they come round quickly. Time is flying, must make some plans for summer. 
Thanks for popping in. Enjoy your weekend. Toodle pip.   ilona.

9 comments:

  1. The last time I passed Chesterfield I was driving in a heavy snowstorm and nearly had a panic attack when a heavy surged past me on the outside and flung a mass of wet sludgy snow across the windscreen so I was blinded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a nice experience for you. Hold on tight to the steering wheel, keep a straight line, ease off on the gas, and allow the heavy to pass. When it has moved back into the left lane, ease off the gas again to lengthen the gap between you. I often drive for miles behind a heavy goods vehicle. They should be limited to 56 miles per hour. Faster on the downhills, slower on the uphills.

      Delete
    2. 'twas more or less what I did! Coming down from Scotland (I'd been on an Archaeological Dig up there) I tucked in behind a heavy all the way to near Preston (horrid bit of road after that).

      Delete
  2. I grew up in chesterfield. Interesting to see your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I focussed mainly on the town centre and the canal. I noticed that the Theatre looked a bit neglected. I think it is going to be renovated.

      Delete
  3. Hi Ilona I have been there on short break it was a lovley place to visit.i much prefer the north of England even though I live down south.ive got a Yorkshire touring holiday booked this year lolxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo. Let me know when you are coming and we can perhaps meet up.

      Delete
  4. That crooked spire is incredible, and I like the distinctive black and white buildings and the gorgeous church interior. I love canals, sort of sad that canal is closed. Terra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chesterfield Canal is interesting, I have walked parts of it before. There are plans to restore the last nine miles. Info here.
      https://chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.