Saturday 24 May 2014

She's a gudun, that Jack.

Read this with a Yorkshire accent.....Eee by gum, she's a reet plucky lass that Jack, int she? No, Jack doesn't talk like that, she is from daan saaf, that's doon sooth if you are from Scotland. I love accents, don't you. Did you see her on Question Time this week? I watched it on the BBC iplayer catchup last night.

Most of you have probably heard of the blog, A girl Called Jack, she is the young lady who struggled to make ends meet as a single mum, and invented a whole load of cheap recipes costing pennies so they wouldn't starve. She's been in the news a lot these past few months, having found her niche as an ambassador for Anti Poverty. Good on her, that's what I say. She isn't afraid to stand up and be counted. I wish I had had that gumption when I was her age.

She's come a long way from being a skint mum, to sitting on the panel at Question Time, she should be proud of herself. I see a rising star there. She sat on a panel with Kirsty Allsop, and some stuffy politicians, and gave her views live to the whole nation. Millions of people had their eyes and ears open to catch her words. She were reet gud was Jack.

Here is a link to her blog, there is a link to the programe on iplayer within it. Oversees readers may not be able to access it at this moment, but keep a look out on yoootooob for it. It hasn't been uploaded there yet, but it will appear eventually.

Got to go. Toodle pip.

16 comments:

  1. I agree - she has a lot of guts, that one. She is an Essex Girl like me (although thankfully neither of us fit the stereotype of orange skin, big hair and body con dresses).
    I have tried some of her recipes and they are OK - nutritious and very cheap but not delicious so far. However, she has such a following there must be some better ones to discover.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's done amazingly well for herself. Her son, the Small Boy of the blog, will be so proud of his Mum when he grows up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I watched it on youtube as iplayer not working for me so hopefully people abroad will be able to watch it. I think she is amazing, never afraid to speak out and stand up for those at rock bottom - and so brave! The idea of speaking live on Question Time would be daunting for most but she seemed so confident and articulate. Her kidney bean cumin burger recipe is yummy too, clever lady, I wish her well. Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love her! She's a Sarfend lass like me x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ay lass, tha's reet. She's a good un.

    Metta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched Jack on BBC iplayer, too. She certainly doesn`t mince words and she can give these stuck up politicians a run for their money. The world of politics could do with more Jack Monroe`s as she is one of the folk and knows how hard life is for us all. None of these other politicians have a clue to how we have to truly live, scrimp and save every penny. Only those that had been through hardship like Jack will ever understand the way that normal people have to live these days. Despite not having a higher education I think that Jack put her points across very well and should be proud of the way she held her own on that panel. Good on her, and I do hope we see more of her in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's a link for those who can't use the BBC I player.

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1JQWSXsnquY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cynthia. That link doesn't go to the Question Time that I am referring to, it goes to Southend Young People's Question Time. I haven't seen it before, so thank you for pointing me in that direction.

      Delete
  8. She is amazing isn't she. A true inspiration to everyone.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny with your accents. I saw the start of the new series for last Tango In Halifax last night, here in Oz, so I thought of you walking somewhere in those environs, with those accents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Watched it here to and could have cringed for her when they asked her the first question, she did good though x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was a dirty trick, aimed at tripping her up. She fought back admirably.

      Delete
  11. Though I hate QT I watched that last night from a link from another blogger and was so impressed by how well she came across I watched the whole thing! Well done to her, some of the others came off as rather vacuous and self interested by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Know what you mean. That Tristram bloke, and Neil Hamilton, isn't he an ex con?

      Delete
  12. Hi. Thanks for the link to jacks blog. I've not heard of her before but I've really enjoyed reading it this morning :)

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.