Sunday 14 November 2021

A walk over the Humber Bridge - part 1

Have I had a lovely day today? I knew it was going to be good the moment I set foot on the Humber Bridge. It was warm, no coat needed, it was sunny with a few clouds, and no wind. Something told me I was going to enjoy the walk over the bridge. 
The footpath wasn't too busy, a few families, cyclists, dogs, and runners were out. And I chatted to two lovely ladies. They were from the North bank and were going to Barton for a bimble. I met them again on the way back. They had enjoyed their day and so had I. 
The Tile Works looked busy, the car park was nearly full. There is a restaurant, a visitor centre, and shops. A nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. All of that was flooded a few years ago when there was a tidal surge. it's good to see they have recovered and are open for business. 

Can you see me mother. 
I stopped in the middle of the bridge to watch a boat that appeared from underneath it. 
I've checked the name on Marine Traffic and it is currently in port at Goole, having sailed from Wintham Belgium. Built in 1997, and as it says on it, it's home port is Inverness. 

I watched it for a few minutes because it appeared to slow down and stop. The tide was not fully in and it looked to me that it was dragging the silt up from the river bed. The route along the river is marked by buoys. It had gone round one of them and was veering left to go round another one further upstream when it started slowing down. Eventually it got going again. It's a very dodgy river to navigate, the tides have to be right. 

This little pleasure cruiser had no problem. 

I came off the bridge and checked the map to refresh my memory as to which way to go to the Hessle Foreshore. Ah yes, I remember. down the steps to the country park, down some more steps and under two tunnels to come out next to the Lifeboat station. 
There is a massive car park on this side, and I was shocked to see that the whole of it had been taken over by an NHS Track and Test facility. Cafe closed, and no Sunday markets. Big notices on the fencing, No filming and no photography. I didn't know what it was at first, I asked some people who were having a snack on one of the picnic benches. They said it had been there a long time. 

Cars were pulling in and were being directed by people in yellow jackets. A large part of the site was covered in shipping container type buildings. Don't know what they are for, admin probably. Rows of parked vans were visible. The whole site was secured by Heras fencing. It was all very mysterious. I have seen something like this on the computer screen, but to see it close up and real is very scary. 


I'm going to break off here, and continue this tomorrow. I have some short videos to upload and there are more pictures. I want to stop now and chill. 

Catch ya tomorrow. Toodle pip.   ilona 
 

7 comments:

  1. This is a coincidence!.This weekend I was going through some stuff and came across some first day stamps on postcards that have lived at the back of my wardrobe for years.Our friend used to run a post office and gave us a lot of these when he left.One of them is The Humber Bridge stamp and I thought of you straight away!.So I will put it in an envelope and post it on to you...although you might all ready have the same one,lol.Hopefully,one day it might be worth a million quid!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another day out which has brought back a whole host of memories, going back to when the bridge was no more than 2 towers in the 1970's. Living in New Holland and using the ferry to Hull. Taking my children to see the Queen, when she came to open the bridge in 1981. Using the bridge many times to access the East Riding and beyond. I could go on and on. Suffice to say that the bridge has played a part in giving me much pleasure over the years, regardless of the politics which led to its construction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sites look quite unsettling - deliberate? They really go to town with the steel fencing, bollards and hi viz stuff. Awful to see them taking over public spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like something out of a science fiction horror film. I came out for a walk to get away from the computer and connect with nature. Then I came across this and it really spoilt the afternoon. It sent a shudder through me.

      Delete
  4. A comment came in a few minutes after I wrote this post, the writer called me a liar. Every bit of it is true. This person obviously hates me for whatever reason. They must have a troubled life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Google Maps are on your side ilona. It's there for all to see, 50 yards north of the Humber Bridge Visitors Centre. It's called Covid-19 Drive-through Testing Site - Hull (Humber Bridge Car Park).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried goooooglie maps, don't like them. If I am going to an area I am not familiar with I might look something up, but for local excursions I like a paper map.

      I recently read that they are going to be closing the testing sites down.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.