Thursday 13 October 2022

Exploring a landfill site

I hate waiting around for anything, so when I took the car for its annual MOT test, I went a walk. Just along the road from the garage is a footpath sign. I haven't been down there before so I followed it along the field edge. The views are good from this point, it's quite high up and you can see for miles across the landscape. I almost missed this post buried in the hedge bottom. Looks like it could do with a new replacement with some new markers. 
I looked over to my left hand side. There is a waft of nasty smells coming my way, from the Biffa waste transfer facility. This landfill site has had many complaints from surrounding villages in the past about the smell. Zoom in to see the machines at work burying and covering the waste material. 
I walked across the field towards the site, and found another crumbling post with arrows on it. Now which way. There was no obvious path. I doubt many would choose to walk around here anyway, given the smell. 
Around the perimeter of the site is a track. To the left is blocked with large boulders, to the right looks walkable but I didn't have the right footwear on to slosh through the mud. I retraced my steps back up the hill. 
The constant tap tap tapping of the machines as they worked echoed across the landscape. At 4pm it all went quiet as they stopped work for the day. Peace at last. Re positioning the plastic sheeting looks a heavy job. 

A little video I made on my way back up to the road. 
In the distance I could see water, there is a pond beyond a hedge. I tried to find a way to it but the path is not obvious and I didn't fancy wading through brambles. I've checked the map and there is a path marked. I am tempted to go back with boots on and see if I can find a way through. I'll save that for another day. 
The car passed by the way, but it might need some work doing before the next MOT. 
It's sunny this Thursday morning. A friend is calling round at lunch time for a natter. Billy will be waiting for his walk later this afternoon. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

10 comments:

  1. Quite coincidentally Ilona, my car was in for an MOT yesterday as well. Mine passed too, and he did a brake fluid service at the same time. However it needs new brake pads on the back next month. Hope you have a nice day. Lovely autumn weather here, which makes a change from the heavy rain and winds we've had. Very interesting stuff yesterday on UK Column, eh? Good old Rob Roos, MEP. H x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't catch every UK Column news. I must get back to it. Thank goodness I can access it through their web site.

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of a little adventure to find a route to the water. I wonder if there's much wildlife there with the landfill smell putting many people off a visit and leaving the site in peace.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like to waste time either. Tomorrow between paid jobs I've got several errands to run whilst I'm over the other side of town and a small piece of artwork I want to check out. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear you are busy. No time to procrastinate. Always looking for the next little adventure.

      Delete
  4. I love how you always find interesting things to do and see. Every day is an adventure and I look forward to reading what you have done. Looking forward to retirement in a few years. After work I am just spent lol keep on keeping on mother!!! 😊😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have your freedom to look forward to. Make the most of it.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.