Wednesday 16 November 2016

Let's have a catch up.

Hello, I've been AWOL, apologies for my absence. Apart from not having much to say, I've been helping my friend Helen deliver her parish newsletters, and done some Bailey dog walks for Joyce, as she has needed to rest her leg. So all good stuff, lots of walking. 
I didn't see the super moon the other night, but last night there was very little cloud and it lit the back garden up nicely.
This morning it was at the front of the house at 7am, still visible, with a whisp of cloud floating by.

Hey, look what I found. Someone very kindly has bagged up all their spare apples and hung them on the railing for anyone to take. Thank you, I'll have one of those.

 Tonight I've made a big pan of broth and vegetables.

Soaked the Scotch Broth Mix overnight, and added carrots, potatoes, parsnips, an onion, the last bit of broccoli, and two apples. I used half the packet, which was as you can see 50p, it makes four large portions, or five not so large. This will put hairs on my chest, it's lovely, and very cheap. I will eat some more tomorrow, and freeze some.

I had a phone call from a local WI group, asking me to do a frugal money saving talk. I've booked them in for January. I haven't done one for ages, it will make a nice change.

Pussy cat rescue news. Someone contacted us about a stray kitten seen wandering at a caravan park. Sue and Janet went to have a look for it, and found it in a pond. The poor little might was half dead. The man who owned the place waded in and got it out. They had it checked at the vet. Luckily we had a spare pen for it, and now it is being looked after and making progress.

There are some new exhibitions starting soon at the Arts Centre, one of them sounds really good. It's called Radical Craft, Alternative ways of making. There is a tour with the Curator on Saturday, I'll go along to that. Someone has blogged about it here.

Has anyone found the videos by Graeme Stevenson on yoootooob?  He is an artist who travels around chatting to other artists about their work. Claire Bremner produces some stunning work, and demonstrates her techniques as she talks and paints. Have a look if you are an artist, or if you aren't. She makes it look so easy.



Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip.


17 comments:

  1. The poor little mite in a pond. Hurrah that it is now safe and warm. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for these kind souls who save animals. Been seeing about the puppy farming in the papers lately. Just awful. X

      Delete
  2. How nice of a neighbour to leave the apples, wish that happened round my way.
    Wish you lived nearer to me I woukld book your to give a talk to my WI you would be very popular.
    Hazel c U.K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what nice neighbours. When I am lucky enough to get a bag of apples I stew them in the slow cooker and freeze it. Poor kitten, new home soon fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My neighbour always gives me pears from his tree. We shared veg whenever we have lots Nice to share like in the old days lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed the big moon the other night since there were clouds and rain, in which we walked in and got wet. I did see the lovely moon on Tues evening though. Lovely! Nice to have someone share their apples. I'm done with applesauce for now. Too much else to do with working 4 days a week, this week only 3 becuz of a vacation day tomorrow! In which I will get calendar photos chosen and printed! It's one thing I give as presents to friend and family. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor little kitty! Thank heavens you found it. What you planning to do with the apples?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort through them cooking the damaged and blemished ones first. Keep stewed apples in the fridge, adding to breakfast cereal and eating with yogurt. Wrap good apples in newspaper and keep in a cold place, they will be alright for a couple of months.

      I don't make pastry or crumbles, takes five minutes to stew them.

      Delete
  7. You seem to live in a lovely community, all looking out for each other, is that usual in Lincolnshire, or special to the bit where you live?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say it's a Lincolnshire thing, more like a village trait. I do believe that living in nice surroundings has an effect on how people conduct themselves. You wouldn't see a bag of apples at someone's front door in town.

      Delete
    2. Not in the city where I live, seriously thinking of moving!

      Delete
  8. I love the bagged apples idea, fortunately I live in a road where we share apples, veggies, tomatoes and one lady does cooking for a
    disabled neighbour. So pleased the kitten was rescued and will now hopefully find a loving home. SueM

    ReplyDelete
  9. thats a kind thing to do with the apples they must have a very productive tree

    regards tessa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope the kitten is all ok now, poor little thing, and finds a loving home. We empty a chest of drawers and layer apples between newspaper, I expect you know this tip, and they keep for ages in the dark (but must be unblemished of course). We also have kind villagers who leave unwanted fruit and vegetables outside their houses and it's help yourself. Why waste food? Our local shop has put a 'bin' inside which you can donate to the local food bank (non-perishables) which is another good idea. Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our neighborhood is like that, Ilona. I mow my neighbors' lawns, and they bring me gorgeous mangoes and just yesterday they brought me a wonderful avocado. She has a friend who asks her to pick all the extras she wants, and then shares it with me. The other neighbor brought me a bottle of red wine! We never ask, it is just how we do it here. We watch out for each other because we truly care. I am so glad to see you live around lovely people just like you.
    Have you decided on your hair yet? I can't wait to see what you decide.

    Hope you're having a great day!
    Lisa in Miami

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh spare apples yes please! It was too cloudy to see the moon here too. I like the sound of that Scotch Broth mix, might see if I can find some. It's definitely soup weather now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the video - always good to see art from a different point of view - thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.