Saturday 19 November 2016

Radical Craft Exhibition

Hello. I went to the 20 21 Visual arts Centre today to see the new exhibition. Radical Craft. It's a touring exhibition which will visit four more galleries next year after it leaves Scunthorpe at the end of January. 
Radical Craft features 34 international and UK artists who express their creativity beyond the bounds of convention. It includes works by renowned artists associated with Outsider Art, and also contemporary self taught artists. 
About a dozen or so people gathered for the exhibition tour, with co-curator Laura Hamilton. She gave us a fascinating insight into the background of the artists, which added to the intrigue of the exhibition. 
Here are some of my photo's. This is a child's toy ironing board which the artist found at a charity shop. The artworks are mostly made from recycled second hand materials. 


An old suitcase found washed up on the beach.



A chair wrapped in fabric.

All kinds of tiny trinkets were used in the making of this piece.




The grey circles are foam, stitched onto random pieces of fabric. 


If you want to know more about the exhibition, please click here. 

Click on a picture to get a larger version.

I like this kind of artwork, there doesn't seem to be much planning in the construction of the pieces, keep adding to it and see what happens. It certainly gave me something to think about. Maybe my artwork is too structured, and I should be more experimental, maybe I should be loosening up a bit.

Thanks for popping in, enjoy your Sunday, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

14 comments:

  1. I'd love to see that exhibition in person - so much detail! Thanks for the nice photographs. And this stuff looks right up your street, Ilona!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pieces and I love that kind of imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here I was thinking how you could teach them a few tricks. I do like some of the items you showed, but I still enjoy and appreciate your artwork as much, if not more. Thanks for sharing. Ranee (MN) USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that suitcase. What a brilliantly clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pieces are just amazing!So much creativity has gone into their making.
    And making something out of seemingly useless things - that´s exactly what you are doing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! love this. Thanks so much for sharing.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that artwork is amazing...I would call myself a non creative person but when I see pieces like that it gives me hope and reminds me that art can take many forms!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am quite traditional in my taste but found this artwork very interesting and so clever, I particularly liked the suitcase. SueM

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful! Art on all shapes and forms . Amazing what some clever people can do, including you, Ilona !
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it but I like your art style even more ☺

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say that this type of art is not my cup of tea at all. I like the white, lacy piece but that is it. But everyone has their own creative ideas and that is what makes us all unique.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was surprised to find I really liked these works of art. Not usually my style but certainly thought provoking. Please can I try 'wool painting' one of your cats. Not saying it will work out but didn't want to do it without asking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My kind of art..I like things that make me smile, in fact I might make the effort and visit if I'm out that way

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm afraid I wasn't too impressed either. There didn't seem to be too much thought that went into any of them, to my mind. I think your masterpieces are a lot better than these Ilona. Just my opinion.

    Joan (Wales)

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.