Wednesday 9 September 2020

News about the library

I've just had a phone call from Stan the Library man. The mobile library is coming back starting on Tuesday 15th. People will not be allowed into the van. There will be tables outside where there will be a box for people to leave their returns, these will be put into quarantine at the Central Library. Stan is ringing everyone to ask what type of books we want to take out, authors, subjects etc. The main library staff will issue the books in our name, and bag them up for Stan to bring with him. Collect from the table outside the van. Alternatively we can choose our own books from the Central Library ourselves.

Exciting eh! It will be nice to see Stan again. He has been beavering away at the Central Library in town, I bet he will be glad to get out and about again.

This will be a massive task for Stan, ringing everybody, then loading the books into the van. One thing I was wondering, if the books we return go into quarantine, 72 hours I think, do we have to quarantine the books we get from the van before we read them? I had some junk mail through the door this morning, Supermarket leaflets, should I be quarantining them? After all, postie and those at the sorting office have been handling them.

I have heard that some people still wipe their groceries with a disinfected cloth when they come back from shopping. I did it once in the beginning, but not since.

The meet up rules are changing next week. There will be a limit of six people allowed to meet up. Don't know what will happen at our Crafty Club. We have been getting between 8 - 10 coming along to the Village Hall on a Monday morning. We will have to wait and see what the committee says about that. I think it would be alright if we had our meetings in the pub, spaced out of course. Or does the new rule apply to pubs as well. I wonder if we could meet outside in someone's garden? All very confusing. I can't keep up with it. Never had so many rules thrown at me since going to work.

Time for dinner. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip. ilona

8 comments:

  1. Yes, the stringent rules are back. If folks would have only worn a mask when out in public & then washed their hands after getting home, we wouldn't be in this mess. What's so bad about a mask, if it's the best thing for the common good? Beats me... I have no idea. Oh well.... I have a stash of masks so I'm good. Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do a pick up similar to yours and I do tend to leave them for a couple of days to quarantine at home. It has been very efficient.

    I did read that tougher rules were coming back to the UK - our numbers have been climbing a wee bit and we are expecting more as school revs up next week. They may be cutting back on bar hours again too as there has been a lot of non-compliance. Honestly as "The Feminine Energy"said - wear a freaking mask, wash your hands and don't go in crowds! It's not rocket science!
    Hope you find something interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rules here in California are ever changing and rather confusing, like you said, I can not keep up. As of this minute and for the past month, our church has services outside, everyone wearing masks and sitting six feet apart. But I just read that in our county now we can have indoor church services. That is just one rule change. Today I bought groceries and wore a mask and gloves and yes, I do wipe down groceries before putting them away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were wiping down our shopping at the beginning also but haven't been most recently. The most recent scientific advice seems to be that it's not necessary as long as you follow the usual sanitary precautions for food etc. (eg wash fresh food before eating and thoroughly cook raw meat etc, wash your hands, keep your surfaces clean, don't cross contaminate, etc etc). Our rules have recently changed again also - nightclubs and banquet halls ordered closed again as of yesterday. Pubs and restaurants have done fairly well at following and enforcing safety rules so they've been allowed to stay open for now, but must now stop serving alcohol at 10 pm and shut altogether each night at 11 pm. They also have to tone down their music sound levels and other noise (so people don't have to shout at their table mates to be heard). All good moves. Our schools are reopening this week also, so the authorities wanted to curb what's been a bit of a late summer surge before the inevitable schools surge begins! Ugh. Great that the mobile library is reopening again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the statistics and the science, and not the media information. I wish the governments would read the statistics and the science as well. I don't think they have a clue as to what to do, neither do they know how to undo what they have done. So I just carry along in my own bubble and try to stay patience until such time as common sense prevails.
    Glad your library van is coming back. A sign that life is, sort of, coming back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wish common sense would kick in soon. In the meantime they the government are coming up with all these hair brained ideas, which actually makes the situation worse. They ramp up the testing and then spout out an increase in erm, 'cases', whatever that means. The whole thing is a big bloody shambles.

      Delete
  6. The rules are back and confusingly once again are different from the Welsh rules. But I'm glad I'm in England at the moment at least things are clear and down in black and white now.

    Calling into Llandudno the other day to have some lunch while Alan's car was being MOT'd I was astonished to see how crowded it was, the coaches full of pensioners seemed to be back with a vengeance and the Prom was full ... and this was a Monday. It was lunch, pick up the car and then home ... breathing a huge sigh of relief, I think I've turned very anti-social.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know I am not a fan of crowds, I go out of my way to avoid them, but I say good on the pensioners for trying to enjoy themselves.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.