Friday 8 January 2021

Art, shopping, and trucking. What more do you want ;-)

 Good morning. Dull and drizzly outside, but not cold. 

My planned shopping trip went like a dream last night, it's three weeks since I last went.  Aldi extended their hours before Christmas, 9pm close, to a 10pm close. I thought they would have reverted back to the 9pm, but they haven't. I went at my usual time of 8.30pm, holding my breath as I approached the car park, hoping there wouldn't be too many parked cars. I punched the air with glee, YES, when I saw only one car, and it was covered in frost so it must have been there for a long time. I had a big grin on my face as I pushed my trolley through the door. I hope the camera got that. I had the shop to myself. 

Someone else did wander in when I was half way round. They chose a hand basket so was soon out again after they had picked up the items they needed. Half an hour later and £53 lighter, and I was back outside and loading it into my car. 

The most expensive items I chose were £3.99 for a jar of Lor Intense Coffee, £3.99 for a bottle of Chardonnay, and £2,85 for a four pack of Red Berry Cider. Treats for me.  Aldi still take cash by the way. 

Close to Aldi is a very convenient 24 hour petrol station. My tank was just under a quarter full so I thought I would add some petrol to it, just in case I might need to go somewhere. Not that that is likely but at least I am ready if the prison door is unlocked. 

A car pulled in just as I was filling up. A uniformed person with a mask on went into the shop, spending a few minutes at the coffee machine. I had intended to spend £20, but to delay going into the shop while there was someone else there, I took it to £30. There were two other people in the car, all in uniform, and a badge on the door indicated that they were Community Police. I thought it best to keep out of their way. 

I am still playing with the black box. I quite like the look of it filled with nail varnish bottles. The trouble is that it is a bit heavy, but no more heavy than when it had a glass front. Maybe I'll go with this idea.

I did a village walk yesterday for the last hour of daylight. We don't get many lorries in the village because there is a weight limit. They aren't allowed to go through unless they have some business within the weight limit. I was just about to turn a corner when I saw the top of a lorry behind some houses. Looks like a Volvo to me, wonder if I can get a photo. I walked up the short access road to watch the driver reverse his trailer into the shed. For a few minutes it took me back in time. I chatted to a man in a yellow vest for a few minutes, it was exciting. 
This morning I was thinking about it. Maybe, to bring a bit of excitement into my life, I could contact a heavy haulage company, and offer my services as a drivers mate. A lot of the big loads have to have a second person in the cab. With all my experience I could be that second person. I could assist the driver, loading and unloading. I could help the driver to park the trailer when manoeuvring in tight places. It would be great to have some trips out. Oh well, it isn't going to happen just yet. Maybe just a dream. 
Time for breakfast. Thanks for popping in. We'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.  ilona

19 comments:

  1. You would be a welcome addition to the driver, Ilona; you're interested in others, and you're interesting AND knowledgeable! Your outlook on life is delightful. I aspire to be like you. Giving a hand to a driver, and earning a little cash is a win-win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you were wise to keep out of the CP’s way, Ilona.

    ‘One man said his parents were given a fixed penalty notice after driving seven miles to Calke Abbey from their home in Whitwick, Leicestershire.
    "Upon approaching the park there was a team of police officers so my parents decided to pull in and check that no laws were being broken," he said.
    "Immediately they were hit with a £200 fine. When my parents said that they weren't aware this was too far and they'd go home immediately, the police officer simply said 'It's too late'."

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-55560814

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny your should mention that. I heard a similar story today. Two friends drove five miles, each in their own car, they parked at Calke Abbey, two spaces between them, to go for a walk. They were questioned and fined by two of these so called apprentice police officers. The police state is coming.

      Delete
    2. Just found this. Copy and paste
      And so it continues, two women surrounded by Stasi, read their rights and fined £200 each after driving 5 miles to take a walk, they were also told the hot drinks they had brought were not allowed as they were "classed as a picnic".
      Well done Derbyshire Stasi.

      Delete
    3. Someone else reported the same thing.
      Just decided the same thing. They have started actually fining people for going for a walk in Derbyshire stating having a coffee is a picknic. Drove all of five Miles and told that was 'against the spirit' of the rules. Five miles...... If this goes on it will cause civil unrest. I'm a middle aged chartered account, if I feel like this, knowing the police won't protect me but will act like the Stasi.

      Delete
    4. If they want to lose the support of the public, they’re going the right way about it.

      Delete
  3. Ridiculous about the 5 mile thing - that would stop most people living around here even getting to their nearest shop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea of being a lorry drivers mate,I bet you could teach them a thing or two!As far as the police are concerned I give up.Within half a mile of where I live,there has been 4 muggings.With very distinctive descriptions of the three to four scum.Yesterday they picked on a guy on his way from work.Nicked all his tools from his back pack plus his wallet..because they hit him over the head with a hammer.Pure Scum!!.I wish the police would spare a bit of time to catch these.Or is that too hard and they pick the easy targets instead.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The police are far too busy to go after real criminals. Detecting real crime is far more complex than telling someone off for sitting on a bench.

      Delete
    2. It makes me wonder sometimes just what the police are getting paid for.It certainly isnt catching the rapist,pedophiles,burglars,muggers and scum that make life hell for us normal folk.xx

      Delete
  5. Go for it Ilona. You only live once. Try your luck...nothing to lose!

    ReplyDelete

  6. Absolutely disgraceful the treatment of the two ladies in the media today, unnecessary, heavy handed and ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When this virus is gone we will all be so happy we won't know what to do :) Love from America!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I don't want to rain on your parade, but, it will be a long time before it is gone. In the meantime the police are pushing us all towards complying with new laws.

      Delete
  8. I say go for it, it doesn't have to be a dream. And think of the photo opportunities!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would love to read about your career as a truck driver. I bet you have some pretty good stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to disappoint but I won't be writing a book. I was on the speaking circuit for many years, giving talks to groups about my trucking life. I haven't done a talk for quite some time now. But all is not lost. There are 13 videos on my yooootoooob channel which documents most of what I did. This is the first one.
      https://youtu.be/6m_nImFK0dE

      Delete
    2. Thank you, jumped on your first two driving videos and loved them. You seem to have found your direction in life early on with great accomplishment. I admire your independence

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.