Saturday 2 January 2021

Proud of our Walking Group

 Hello. It's still cold outside, but not quite as cold as the last couple of days. I did a Billy dog walk this afternoon, he absolutely loves it. He often barks at dogs he doesn't like, usually big black ones, but I have noticed that he doesn't do it so often now. We met several dogs today, and I had a nice chat with a man who was walking a small black puppy. The little do was so excited, jumping about everywhere. I have seen a few new dogs around the village. I hope they haven't been bought as Christmas presents. 

It looks like all the figures are in from the Walking Group members. It's nice to see familiar names, I'm pleased they have stuck with it. In no particular order, because it isn't a competition. 

Jeanneke  1514 km.

Vicki  1166 miles

Viv Country Cottage  1182 miles

Linda 650   miles.

Beachcomber Sue   740 miles

Patricia My Piece of Earth 545 miles

Ray   1000+ miles

Sheila  1582 miles

Nick  1145 miles

Joy2me  1236 miles

Allison  1483 miles

Hilogene  448 miles

Kay Harman  1104 miles. 

Pretty impressive eh! It wouldn't be fair to send out prizes to the highest numbers, because some members have had difficult conditions to hinder them. All have done very well, the reward will be the benefits of better health and fitness. You reap what you sow.

There are some new members joining us in 2021, and we welcome them. All you have to do is count your miles/km's, whichever is the best way for you. Write it down daily in a note book, put a X if you miss a day so it gets you into a routine. 

Check in on the first of every month. If you miss the actual day, you can go back to it at any time to add your update. I did 3 miles yesterday and 2 miles today. The target for the end of January is 84 miles. I find if I can stick to a monthly target then it makes it easier when I get to the 8th or 9th month. It gives me a boost knowing I am nearly there. Think of it as a Christmas Club Savings Account. Put away £25 a month and you have a tidy sum to buy presents. 

It is important now more than ever, to look after your health. Your body needs a good immune system to fight off anything you might catch. It is recommended to take a daily dose of vitamin D3 and vitamin C plus zinc. Ask your doctor if this is safe if you are taking any medication. 

That's me done. Thanks for popping in. We'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.   ilona 

14 comments:

  1. I realize that your comment about pets for Christmas presents was off the cuff, and I realize where it was coming from, but I don't think there is anything wrong with giving yourself a pet for Christmas if you want it and will take care of it. Giving a pet to someone else is a dicier matter! We have a little rescue dog who obviously came from someone that didn't want her enough to take care of her and dumped her off at a state park in December. She is an absolutely wonderful friend, but she obviously hadn't been taken care of before we got her (nearly two years old, never housebroken, etc.). She is about 15 now. I think animals are a wonderful pet to YOURSELF, but not to anyone else. My daughter-in-law gifted herself with a kitten (from a cat rescue) on Dec. 22. Bob was her Christmas present, as Molly was mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He bought the dog for his wife, he now has the job of taking it for a walk. That's why I said that. Aside from that, I think it's wrong to breed and sell puppies. There are hundreds in shelters which need homes.

      Delete
  2. My love n best wishes to you all have taken in a stray,The puppy breeders make me sick,Just money makers,until the mam dog is no use to them......xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello this is Sara from Southern California! Just jumping in here to say I am going to try and do this walking thing with the group. If I can manage to stick with it, that will be a big victory for me for 2021! Thank you for the encouragement. And congratulations to all the successful walkers from 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Sara. There is no better feeling than getting to the end of a long hard challenge. It's the commitment that will see you through, the will to succeed.

      Delete
  4. Morning and happy new year!!I gave up trying to get out for walks in december.. it has been so cold and icy. But starting again this month.. good luck eeveryone! gillian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the spirit, don't give up. Try and build up a few extra miles in the bank when the weather is good. That gives you some flexibility to slacken off in the bad weather.

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year to you and all your readers. I am joining in the walking group this year! I am about to turn 60 and have decided that I can't put things off any longer. I am a stone overweight and very unfit so started on Jan 1st - 7kms done so far this month - slow and steady, slow and steady! And yesterday my new trainers arrived; my previous pair were over 10 years old so that shows you how little they were used!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All set to go Julia. Don't forget, it's not the walking that will make you lose weight, don't forget to check your diet. That stone should soon melt away.

      Delete
  6. Wow, well done walkers! And thanks to you again Ilona for hosting this for another year. I know the comment about putting money away for presents is a metaphor for storing up good health for the future, but it has given me an idea and further motivation to keep walking - I will put away a set amount for each 10 miles walked and use it for something special - not sure what yet- presents for the family, a get-together when we are allowed? I almost feel excited!! Over 4 miles walked this morning - by far the best time of day to go just as the sun is coming up. Good luck everyone in the 12 months ahead. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good idea, Vicki. Put 50p away every time you walk a mile. Nice bonus of £500 at the end of the year.

      Delete
  7. Hi Iona. Really looking forward to joining in again this year. Working from home last year made me lazy and I lost all motivation to move and it showed on the scale. This year I’m determined to get back to what I was. Thank you to everyone here for all the inspiration and a very happy new year to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. With illness in our family, I could not commit to walking as often in 2020, but am going to sign up this year to see how far I can get. Congratulations to all who were able to stay the course last year. As Ilona says, it is great for health, and I feel much more energetic when I am walking regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New year Ilona. I have been meaning to join the walking group for a number of years but looking after a seriously ill husband just did not think I could make it. Well now I am looking after him probably for just weeks to come and need some goals. I would love to join even if I may not quite make it. Martina

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.